Monday, August 8, 2011

The Price Of New Shoes. A Metaphor. And A Simile.

It looks like I will be going to school every day this week.

The Pony and I moved 31 desks and chairs to their proper positions, plus a wooden teacher's desk. Oh, my achin' back. The #1 son arrived to assist with the six-foot table, the four-foot table holding the mini-fridge and microwave, and the file cabinet. But before he could do that, he had to move seventeen boxes of books, the majority of which weighed fifty-six pounds apiece, according to the labels. Plus a few that were heavier. But before he could do that, he had to take the chair off the top of each desk so he had somewhere to put the boxes. Then he had to open them, so he and The Pony could carry the books to the newly-moved table so I could brand them with the school name/address, and write numbers on them. Tomorrow, he will have to put the marked books on the bookshelf and get rid of all the boxes. I don't know how teachers without children to boss around can get things done.

There was a snafu with one set of texts, that being the resource materials were not for the same edition as the student texts. I'll be gosh-darned it I'm going to start out my year by inventing all my own worksheets and tests, plus look up every answer to the section review questions. Sweet Gummi Mary! It's like we're back in the dark ages. Next thing you know, I'll be running masters on a mimeograph machine and deeply inhaling the sweet smell of purple type on the fresh copies. Arch Nemesis is on the case, and has a call in to the publisher. She's definitely a take-charge kind of gal. We're holding off on marking those texts until we find out if the materials are available. If not, we want a refund and downgrade to the older edition that goes with our resource materials. At least I only have one class in that subject.

This week, I will be writing out my lesson plans and getting copies ready. That would be a breeze if I was still using my old textbooks. Those materials are as comfortable as a worn-out shoe. Alas. The price of progress. I must reinvent the wheel.


4 comments:

labbie1 said...

Hey! Do you get your texts from John Wiley & Sons? Just wondering...Not that they are inept...gman did some work for them and we really liked them!

I have shoes that are as comfortable as worn-out shoes! LOL I should post about shoes as comfortable as worn-out shoes!

Hillbilly Mom said...

labbie,
I don't do the ordering. As far as I know, they come straight from the McGraw-Hill.

I like your shoe post idea. It's like a coffee table book about coffee tables.

Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

Two questions: 1. Has any publisher ever, in the history of school books, not screwed up at least ONE part of a school's order? 2. Do you think there's any chance you'll get the right materials before October?

Hillbilly Mom said...

MommyNeeds,
1-NO!

2-Supposedly, the materials are either online or in CD format. Including the teacher's edition. Which I do not like as it's not convenient to follow along on the computer screen when your students read out loud and discuss questions. Now it's a matter of how to access these materials. We are awaiting a call from the textbook rep.