Friday, August 5, 2011

With Nary A Watch Nor Warning

The atmosphere was angry today, my friends. Like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli. Well...technically, that was what George Costanza said about the sea, shortly before revealing that as a fake marine biologist, he had removed a Titleist hit by Kramer off a cliff at the beach from a dying whale's blowhole. Let's just say that a wicked thunderstorm kicked up this afternoon in Hillmomba.

The Pony and I had just returned from town. Dark skies followed us along our winding route like a Boston terrier nipping the heels of a hurried mom dropping off her toddler at an in-home daycare. Just before we left the gravel road for the Mansion driveway, fat drops of rain pelted T-Hoe. Just enough to create a muddy sludge on his back hatch and bumper.

The Pony carried in our belongings and went back to the garage for more. I was setting down my things on the kitchen counter when I heard a large crash. I feared that The Pony had fallen down the porch steps and onto the concrete sidewalk. It was a thumping sound like thin-skin-covered bones on wood. Not the whump of the metal door slamming on the wooden door frame of the garage. I rushed outside onto the back porch and around the corner made by The Pony's bedroom. He was nowhere to be seen. But the two-piece bookshelf/chest of drawers that Farmer H had set on the side porch had lost its top. The bookshelf was laying face down, sticking off the wooden planks, soaking up sideways rain.

I could not see The Pony. I hollered for him. He finally appeared in the garage door with his Kindle in a plastic Devil's Playground bag. He trotted three steps through the horizontal-pour, and hoofed it up the steps. But didn't. The Pony put a foot wrong. It slipped out of his Adidas slide and he crashed onto the four steps to the porch. The Kindle was OK. The Pony had a red leg. Not bloody red. Angry skin red.

We righted the porch furniture but did not put the bookshelf back on top of the drawers. The dogs paced and shot us the stinkeye. They don't much like storms. I don't much like dogs in the house. We left them to stew in nature's juices and retired to the safety of The Mansion.

There was nary a watch nor warning to be found on broadcast TV.

7 comments:

labbie1 said...

I see your mojo is back! So many descriptive phrases. Poor Pony! I hope his leg heals quickly!

labbie1 said...

Oh and wouldn't it be great to have a job where you could neglect it or be wrong more than half the time and still get raises? ;-)

It sure was nice and cool after the storm went through here! Lovely!

labbie1 said...

Hey! Since you are in the teaching profession, though not in history, I thought you might like to see these pix of WWII London in color. Color would have been quite rare in those days. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016667/Colour-pictures-revealed-London-blitz-Nazi-bombers-World-War-II.html

Chickadee said...

I didn't get any of that rain. My plants are angry with me because I haven't watered them in the hopes that it WILL rain.

Hope The Pony is ok.

And that's one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes :)

Hillbilly Mom said...

labbie,
My mojo, like that storm, is gone with the wind. I love it when those forecasters miss the snow in the winter, and angry viewers rip them in their station's online comments. I'm betting that those comments come from disgruntled teachers who were planning on a snow day.

*************************************
Chick,
The Pony is walking without a limp today. The storm left us with high humidity. I fear that my D'Hummi will have bouts of dehumidifier diarrhea in coming days.

I love all the Seinfelds. I am particularly partial to The Old Man, when the gang volunteers with various elderly folks and Jerry's guy is cranky and says, "Aren't you going to change my diaper?"

And The Apology, when that lady at Elaine's office acts like Elaine is full of germs, yet drinks out of another guy's water bottle. And Jerry's girlfriend walks around nude, but freaks him out when she coughs. And Kramer installs a garbage disposal in his shower because he eats in there.

labbie1 said...

I still giggle about the episode in which Kramer rents out his dresser drawers as sleeping quarters and the one where he goes to the big box store and gets giant cans of beans which he feeds to the horse just before taking George's prospective in-laws on a ride. So funny!!!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

labbie,
Rusty!

I also love the Jean-Paul marathon/Kramer hot tub fiasco. And when George forces that family to let him watch Breakfast at Tiffany's and ruins their white couch with grape juice. Which leads to Poppy of non-handwashing pizza fame ruining Jerry's couch and the old switcheroo.