Thursday, January 26, 2012

A-Snoozin' And A-Losin'

Where, oh where, has my little dog gone? Around the porch to sleep under the #1 son's window, apparently. I saw her curled up there last night at 2:00 a.m., when I arose from sleep in my recliner to go to bed. Of course I had to look out in case some freezing rain was in the making. No dice. And no ice. But little Juno was there.

At first I had trouble recognizing her, what with her being totally, completely, STILL. I guess she really does sleep. At least between 2:00 and 3:00 a.m., whether she needs to or not. It was the first time I had seen her not in her dog house overnight. She usually lays in there, poised like a tennis match ball boy, waiting for me to open the kitchen door. She passes the time gnawing on one of her 2079 bone fragments.

Poor Juno. Last night, The Pony tossed her a treat, a Chewnola stick. It looked like a giant sesame-seed covered breadstick. But the wrapper said it was a multi-textured dog chew bone. No sooner had The Pony given it to her than it was ripped from her possession by Ann the black shepherd. That happened when we tossed out some bread and a piece of garlic bread. Ann commandeered the garlic bread, then made a grab at the Chewnola when Juno abandoned it for bread. Stale, whole-wheat, sliced bread.

You snooze, you lose, Juno. Because Ann stacks up items in her mouth and heads to more calm climes to enjoy them. Juno also snoozed and losed in the dog house department. This morning we found it full of Tank, the beagle.

The big dogs are taking advantage of my little girl. I'm looking into a way to remedy the situation.

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Our dogs sleep with us. In the bed. All four of them.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That's not happenin'. Though Farmer H did, at one time, try to steal a plaid, cedar-shaving-stuffed pillow from a new dog house in order to put it on the marital bed. I objected. Farmer H decreed that no animal deserved a new pillow more than he did. Then I read the tag, about it being for pet use only, and he put it back.

How can you sleep, knowing that you must guard your eyes all night from Toni Louise?

Kathy's Klothesline said...

All my dogs know that when they are in my bed it is sleep time. No playing, no butt licking or any other shenanigans are tolerated, lest you get thrown out to sleep in a locked kennel. Gramma is not nice when she gets awakened.
So, Farmer H fancied the dog pillow, huh?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You are indeed a no-nonsense taskmistress. Farmer H loved the plaid flannel covering. And saw no reason why it should be wasted on a mere animal.

labbie1 said...

I have a Tank as well--though mine is 160 lbs and really warms up a bed nicely! The 3 pugs always sleep with us. Tank comes in after Gman gets out of bed as we now only have a queen sized bed rather than the old king sized one which allowed for all of the dogs! Let me tell you we were SO HAPPY to have each and every little heater when the electricity went out in the dead of winter with 42 inches of snow on the ground and we were running on battery only in the RV. 50 degrees is just perfect sleeping with a bed full o dogs! :)