Wednesday, May 15, 2019

No Wonder My Bank Treats Me Like A Thief!

Remember how a bank teller practically accused me of trying to deposit a counterfeit check, because she called the wrong number on the front of it for verification? The one for the bank (in the city) the check was written on, instead of my local credit union, which had just issued the check ten minutes previous? And how they always put a 10-day hold on checks I deposit, even if they're CASHIER'S CHECKS, from our local saving & loan branch?

Maybe they have a sixth sense about me, and know they can't be too careful!

Tuesday I went into Casey's, to buy two scratchers for Genius's weekly letter, and two for myself. I buy the $5 tickets, so that's $20. I didn't have a winner to cash in this time. I had a twenty folded in half, tucked into the pocket on the front of my shirt.

I had my favorite clerk, the friendly one. It's rare in that store. While she was getting my tickets out of the case, I stood with the twenty in my hand. I turned it around, so I wouldn't be upside down when I handed it to her. I smoothed out the crease. I'm particular about my money that way. I joked with her that I needed a winner to cash in! She asked if I had gas, or needed anything else. Then laughed, and said, "Of course you don't!" She knows what I come in there for.

The clerk scanned my tickets, stacked them neatly together, and handed them to me.

"That'll be twenty dollars."

"Here you go!"

I was turning for the door when the clerk said, "Um. This is a one."

SWEET GUMMI MARY! How embarrassing is THAT?

"Oh! I'm sorry. Almost got away with it, heh, heh! You're too smart for me. Here! That one is for my soda later!"

I shouldn't have joked about it like that. She might treat me like a bank teller next time.

7 comments:

River said...

"Oh how embarrassment!" (quoting a comedienne from Australia)
Easy enough mistake though, with all your paper money being the same green colour. Here in Australia, a green note is the $100, with $50 being yellow, $20 is orange, $10 is blue and $5 is purple. We used to have a $2 note, lighter green, now replaced by a coin, and a $1, light brown, now replaced by a coin and there is talk of changing the $5 for a coin also. We are going to be weighed down and jingling everywhere we go if that happens.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Thank goodness there was no crazy woman with you, a phone in hand, to capture the moment pictorially.

I've done that before. I always feel like DUH!, like I'm an incredible nincompoop.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'm sure I would never have made that faux pas with your money! Ooh! And think of my possibilities for coin-finding!

***
Sioux,
I would hope a crazy woman with a phone in her hand would know not to push her luck at a Casey's two doors up from The Gas Station Chicken Store where she almost had the cops called on her!

River said...

You'd be lucky with the coin finding, we no longer have the one cent and two cent coins, anything you'd find out here would be five cents and higher. On the other hand, people don't seem to drop as many coins here.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
So my quest would be more difficult, but the rewards greater!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I always seem to explain too much when I am embarrassed and then I wonder if I sound like I am lying and that makes me talk more.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Heh, heh! I had the same Casey's gal today. She was so cheerful! I said, "I promise to give you more than a dollar this time."