Saturday, May 25, 2019

Well, That Makes All The Difference

Friday morning, I rushed to the main post office to mail the boys' weekly letters. On the way, I decided I needed some stamps. I have half a book of flag stamps, but I generally get something more colorful to put on the boys' letters. You know, because that's what twenty-something dudes dwell on when they get a letter from their mom, not the enclosed money or lottery tickets.

Yes, I guess those stamps are more for me than they are for the boys. I enjoy picking out which ones to put on. Let's see, they've had snowmen and songbirds and Hot Wheels Cars and childhood pets and classic trucks and funeral-looking flower bunches. Anything with several varieties.

There was only one man at the counter, and he'd been shuffled down to fill out paperwork. I stepped up and asked the mail lady for a book of stamps. She said, "That'll be eleven dollars." I handed her three fives (from the change I got back from my winning scratcher the day before), and she shoved the stamps across the counter before making change.

I took the four ones she handed me back (counting them to be sure!), and picked up the stamps. Oh. Not really what I had in mind.

"Do you have anything besides flowers?"

"I have flags."

"No, I still have some flags. Okay. Thanks."

As I started towards the door, the mail lady said, "Technically... they're CACTUS!"

I looked over my shoulder at her. "Oh. Well. THAT makes all the difference!"

The second mail lady, behind the NEXT WINDOW sign, snorted.
I'm killin' 'em at the post office.


Still look like flowers to me! I'm pretty sure the boys aren't going to glance at it and think: CACTUS!


4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I'm not sure if I'm right, but shouldn't that postal worker have said, "Technically, they're CACTI"?

If I'm correct, perhaps you should go back and correct her...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Shoulda, coulda, nada. I'm not going back to correct her. I am no longer an officer with the Grammar Police. I turned in my badge and siren. I DO wish I had my billy-club when Farmer H tells me the BRIDE is closed due to a washout!

River said...

The fact they're cactus flowers would be the first thing I'd notice! I love them and wish we'd get some here, our stamps are so boring. Being of pensioner age, I'm entitled to buy the cheaper stamps, and they design is so blah and hasn't changed in all the years since they first came on the market. Even our regular (over) priced stamps aren't anything special to look at.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Seems like we get a new design every few months. I'm pretty sure that lady had more than two kinds of stamps in her drawer! I think they are told to push a certain design if people aren't buying it. She tossed those cacti out there automatically, when I'd expect the flags are the more neutral, standard design. They've been around for many years.

At least you get a bargain price!