Friday, December 6, 2019

In The Warm Glow Of The Gaslight

Like a steady drip can erode solid rock over the centuries, I'm pretty sure Farmer H is trying to erode my sanity by planting minuscule ideas in my noggin. Slipping them in there, passing through the scraggles of my lovely lady-mullet, vibrating through my hammer-anvil-stirrup apparatus, until my brain stores them for later perusal.

We went to lunch with my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel on Thursday. When we returned home, Farmer H stopped A-Cad down by Mailbox Row to get our mail out of EmBee. Genius had sent two packages, which were in the lockbox. Just envelope packages, not boxes. Farmer H handed them to me.

"It's not the package you've been looking for, but they have your name on them."

"I don't know. Genius said they'd be arriving today. I can't read the address, because my glasses are in the case, in my purse, and I just jammed the envelope mail in there."

"You can't read THAT? You used to be able to read that without your glasses. Have your eyes gotten that bad? Didn't the doctor say you had cataracts? Maybe you need to get them looked at. That's why you can't see. You have cataracts."

"LOOK at the size of that print. Seriously? You think I can read that? I've worn bifocals for 15 years."

"I have bifocals too. But I can read that without them."

"This size?"

"Well. Not from over here I can't. But from a normal distance I can."

I held both envelopes up close to my face. Careful not to jab myself into a papercut wound (thank the Gummi Mary, I'm no longer on that demon Xarelto) as Farmer H jabbily swove A-Cad up His and Buddy's Badly Blacktopped Hill.

"Huh. That's amazing. Because NEITHER of these have my name on them! They're both addressed to Genius. And besides, IF I had a cataract, wouldn't it affect my total vision, not just my up-close vision?"

"Not necessarily," said Farmer H. Ignoring the fact that his bionic eye had not actually read my name in the fine print of the address label.

I wonder if he has a cataract...

2 comments:

River said...

A cataract? Or a contract? out on you!
Be very careful if he suddenly starts buying bags of concrete and asking what your boot size is.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
AHA! Farmer H is bandying words that might disclose his evil plot! I'm sure he has some bags of concrete stashed in the BARn or his expensive yet useless garage. He knows my boot size because he wears my shoes! His tiny feet were encased in a pair of my black sneakers when we had lunch with my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel. I know I've mentioned how he STEALS MY CROCS to walk outside, when he has a pair of his own right in front of the La-Z-Boy.