Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Road Hazards

The day after we returned from our Pony visit, Farmer H sent me a text from town.

"The creek might be over, but I think it's on the way down. There's a log on the bridge."

Let the record show that I have corrected his grammar and punctuation. I felt a need to exercise my (former) teacher muscles. They work so much better than my actual muscles.

I meant to take the alternate route, past the auto body shop, but I forgot. So I piloted T-Hoe toward the possibly flooded bridge on our usual route. It's not like I can just turn around. I was relieved to see that the water WAS receding, and that the log was passable. Usually, a resident of the blacktop county road will take his tractor and clear the bridge. Usually, it's the dude who is responsible for the poop trucks traveling that route. I guess he has a vested interest in that bridge's passability.

Anyhoo...I didn't get a picture on my way to town, but I did on my way back.


As long as nothing was coming from the other way, no problem in crossing that bridge when I came to it.


Not even anything to sweat about. Whole trees have beached themselves here before.

It's not something you'd want to run over, even with your trusty T-Hoe. But this was a minor obstruction. It was gone the next day. Farmer H said he would have moved it himself, now that he has his blue tractor running again. But, as he commented, "Jack follows me on the tractor, and I didn't want him to think running all the way down to the bridge was something he should do."

The peril of being swept away. Just on more service we offer here in Backroads.

4 comments:

River said...

Without fencing on both sides, can that slab of concrete even be called a bridge? I suppose with trees regularly falling onto it any fence would be in constant need of repair.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It is definitely a bridge! Nobody is driving through that creek without it. Water runs under it most of the times. The trees wash in upstream, and either get jammed against the side, or try to flow over if the water gets high enough. It's not a problem when the water is so high that it covers the measuring marker, and extends way past that diamond-shaped sign in the distance. Then the trees wash all the way across.

Two cars could squeeze past on that slab, but I won't risk it. I'll pull over and wait for one to cross. I'm not taking a chance on T-Hoe's tire going off the edge!

Sioux Roslawski said...

I'm with River. That "bridge" looks a bit dangerous...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You know me, I live life on the edge! Hopefully not on the edge of a bridge, though.