Friday, April 27, 2012

Between Love And Salivation Lies Obsession

The Pony was beside himself with anticipation today. We drove T-Hoe to a nearby town for some errands after school, and picked up a Papa John's pizza.

The Pony LOVES Papa John's. There used to be a franchise inside The Devil's Playground. We would place an order and pick it up after shopping. Or, if the #1 son was with us, I would call it in, and he and The Pony would sit and eat while I was sparring with The Devil's Handmaidens. Alas, Papa John forsook The Devil, and The Pony was left high and dry without his favorite pizza.

As I pulled into Papa's parking lot, The Pony sat at attention. No gaming. No reading. He was on alert. "Are you excited?"

"Yes! I can smell it now. I can't wait."

I handed him the money, and he trotted across the pavement. Rain began to fall just as he entered the store. He returned to T-Hoe at a full gallop. "That was bad timing."

"Oh, come on. It's not raining that hard. It's not like you're going to melt."

"I'M fine. But the PIZZA could have got wet!"

"Are you salivating?"

"Uh huh. It's SO good. It was all I could do to keep from staining my shirt as I ran out."

"You mean because you were gripping that pizza box so tight?"

"No. From the saliva. I was almost drooling, and I didn't want to get it on my new shirt."

The Pony really, really likes Papa John's pizza.

4 comments:

Chickadee said...

LOL. Did he manage to refrain from devouring the pizza on the ride home? ;)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
Surely, you jest! Perhaps you visualize The Pony as a large-breed dog with the self-restraint to balance a biscuit on his nose until you tell him to flip it in the air and eat it. Tsk, tsk. We're talking about a just-turned-fourteen-years-old boy, for cryin' out loud! Watch out for your arms and legs, lest they be accidentally devoured.

The Pony ALWAYS eats the pizza on the way home. He even buys a soda when he picks it up so he can wash it down. In case too much saliva has leaked out in anticipation.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You have to be careful about those saliva stains! Perhaps the Pony should keep a Papa Johns pizza bib handy for such occasions ...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Or maybe a drool bucket.