Tuesday, April 3, 2012

They'd Better Not Be In The News Tomorrow!

First, let's get the creepiness out of the way. This story is not about creepers who ruin the teaching profession for the rest of us. It's a tale of infatuation. Childhood crush material. Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher style. Except that Tom was not in his fifties, Becky was the crushee instead of the crusher, and nobody gets lost in a cave.

At the end of class this morning, I heard the kids giggle-whispering about a certain teacher. They carry on about him all the time. Not because he's young and handsome. He's kind of an old fuddy-duddy. They discuss his wild, Paul-Bunyan-like stories. The ones he purports as truth. Year after year. If you ever have a question about something obscure, he's the one to ask. He's a master of trivia. And a bit long-winded.

I asked the kids what was going on. They were not in the least bit shy about telling me.

"Happy and Bashful have a crush on Mr. Trivia."

"Oh, that's hard for me to believe."

"No, really. I heard Happy say it yesterday."

"I'm sure she was making a joke."

"I don't think so. But Bashful really DOES like him. Ask her!"

"Bashful! Do you hear what they're saying?"

"But...I really DO like him."

"Oh, come on. You're teasing me."

"No, I do."

"What is it about him that you like? The beard? His height?"

"Well, I do like that he's tall. But he's so SMART! He knows EVERYTHING!"

"See? I told you. She's going to be one of those stalkers once she graduates. She'll follow him all over the place."

"No I won't! I just like him."

The bell rang, and the students filed out. Bashful was one of the last to leave. "I just like to hear his stories. Everybody else makes fun. But I think he's interesting." She dropped her voice. "One time, I asked him to borrow a pen!"

"Why? Did you KEEP it? Did you make a little doll of him or something at home?"

"Oh, no! I really had my own pen. But I just wanted to talk to him."

She left the room, all aglow. It was kind of cute. A fourteen-year-old girl who is not all about stalking and inappropriateness. An old-fashioned, school-girl crush on the safest man in the building.

A throwback to a former era.

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

"How can you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume? It isn't easy but I'll try." I can hear Lulu build up to a swell of emotion as we speak.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yes, I thought of that simple crush on Sir. Because look at his competition. Greasy, brutish louts who did not treasure women. Until Sir boxed it into their thick heads.