Monday, May 14, 2012

And He's Not Even The Water Sign

Farmer H has two projects underway.

The first is readying Poolio for the summer. He and the boys have pumped the brackish, decayed-leaf liquid off the top of the black cover. They've removed itto expose the clear water underneath to the sun for warming. Which is what I thought the black cover was for.

Farmer H cleaned out the filter. He has been hydrating Poolio with the garden hose, straight from the well. The next step will be taking a sample of water for testing, then the purchase of mass quantities of various pool chemicals.

I asked Farmer H whether it might not be simpler and cheaper to drain Poolio each spring, and start afresh with pristine well water filtered by years of percolating through nature's filter. He said no.

The second project is re-pumping the fake fish pond. The pump broke, the water turned to dark green pea soup, and Farmer H put all the overgrown Devil's Playground goldfish in a giant garbage can in order to inspect the pump.

I am afraid the fish will overheat and suffocate in the big barrel-like can without aeration. Farmer H says no.

I halfway expect to look out and see those 10-inch goldfish doing laps around Poolio.

4 comments:

Chickadee said...

I wonder if it depends on how long the fish are in the can because I agree with you...those little fins and what not need oxygen through the aeration.

And wonder why you can't just start with fresh water in the poolio.

Things that make you go hmmm

Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
They were still alive today. No floaters. The fish pond is full, and should be warm enough by Wednesday. I hope.

I think the Poolio situation has more to do with convenience. It's not like we pay a water bill. It's a WELL, for cryin' out loud!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have tried to convince he who is in charge of the pool to cover it every year, even bought the cover. But he must enjoy pumpin out the 60,000 gallon of water, then mucking all the leaves and debris deposited by Mother Nature. Every year he swears he will cover it "this season!", then procrastinates until the trees are bare of leaves and it is a moot point. Today is the major pool painting event. He has two guys all set to assist. I am hiding from them. The twelve gallons of paint await the rollers and I will, no doubt be the runner for things like more rollers, etc. I think I might just leave the park for the day.
I don't mind the refilling every year, because like you, it is a well, but the cover would eliminate a lot of the cleaning. But, I am not in charge of the pool!!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Well, it's skin off He Who's nose, not yours, since he does the muck-out. And at least your campers get clean water every year, not recycled butt-water soup.