Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Beginning Of The End In Newmentia

The end of the school year is at hand. Four more days. Three and five-and-a-half sevenths, to be precise. But...we'll have a work day on Friday. Then graduation Friday night, with mandatory attendance by the faculty. I'm a short-timer! I keep reminding myself not to get in a helicopter like Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake.

With the end comes an incentive day, awards assembly, graduation practice, finals, book-checking-in, inventories, and loose-end-tying. I am a creature of  habit. Like a toddler with naptime disrupted, I grow cranky. It behooves those around me to remain calm during the final days. No sudden moves. No unnecessary requests for form-filling-out, or trips to the bathroom, locker, gym, office, parking lot, cafeteria, or other classrooms. No. Just no. The answer is no. Likewise, no visitors to my classroom.

On the last day, I even lock my classroom door. That deters many an interruption. School is not a free-for-all. Nor one big going-away party. No signing of t-shirts. No popping into my room to hug a friend goodbye. No farewell tour. Just no.

No, no, no.

That pretty much sums up the last day for curmudgeonly ol' Mrs. Hillbilly Mom.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

You are out a week earlier than I am. What's with that? And don't tell me you go back earlier, because I go back in early-early-early August (like the 3rd or 4th).

Are the crops needing to be planted? Do the fields need to be plowed?

Life is not fair...

Chickadee said...

On the plus side, I'll bet you're getting out much earlier because of our unseasonably warm winter. I imagine it's difficult to put up with students in the heat. I hate everyone when I'm hot.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Well, that's because we here in Hillmomba are so far advanced that we can take off a week early. You, my dear, might enjoy the same privilege if you understood that the fields need a-plowin' before the crops can be planted.

This fall, we are scheduled to return on August 13. Except for new hires. They report August 10. Because they need to get that plowin'/plantin' conundrum resolved before we expose them to the students.

***********
Chick,
Yes, our dearth of snow days paved the way for this timely release. I pretty much hate everyone regardless of the ambient temperature. Fortunately, Newmentia has all the bells and whistles, including air conditioning. So my cold, cold heart keeps me on an even keel.

I have worked at several districts with NO AIR CONDITIONING! I was a limp dishrag by the end of the day. The kids were even too bedraggled to engage in shenanigans.