Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Extra Unpleasant Things Come To Those Who Wait

The longer you stay, the longer you'll HAVE to stay. You'd think I learned that lesson long ago. Yet I still pooh-pooh at those teachings.

I meant to get out of Newmentia early today. Not early, like before the final bell. But early, like before 3:30. Or maybe even by 3:15!

Alas, the best-laid plans of Mrs. Hillbilly Mom and The Pony are often laughed at by Farmer H and my sister the ex-mayor's wife and Mrs. Not-A-Cook and Arch Nemesis.

I am having a substitute tomorrow for a doctor appointment, and all I needed to do was stow away the items on my desk. The plans were written, and the answer keys copied, lest the sub get a hankerin' to grade papers like our best old ex-sub Walt. The assignments were laid by the pencil sharpener with care, in ecstasy now that Mrs. HM won't be there. I put out four crappy writing implements, and stashed mine in a bottom drawer. I directed The Pony to stack my vital top-secret papers in plain sight on the broken-down bookcase. I had already written the assignments on the whiteboard.

Then all not-heaven broke loose! Farmer H started texting me about his lawn-mowing plans. My sister the ex-mayor's wife started texting me about her new clown nose (more on this somewhere or another in a few days). Mrs. Not-A-Cook stopped me to give me a heads-up on a mutual student, and Arch Nemesis reared her hollow head to ask for an answer key that she asked me to make up several years ago. A leopard cannot change its spots.

I finally managed to escape at 4:00.

I should know to run out of there at the stroke of 3:10.

Extra unpleasant things come to those who wait.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Aaah. For those who have more than 1 year left (Linda!) or more than 1 year and one month left (you), this kind of afternoon brings about a smile.

You're getting what you deserve. This time next year (and another month or so), you will be on a permanent skedaddle-out-early schedule.

I feel sooooo sorry for you.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yep. Once I'm done with my materials, they'll go straight to the dumpster. No saving for next year. Empty out that file cabinet one unit at a time. Arch Nemesis better get prepared.

Thank you for the crocodile tears. I hear they're a good lubricant of one gets one's head stuck under the faucet in the faculty women's restroom sink...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

That what you get for being dependable!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes. On my tombstone, it will say, "She was technically proficient."