Wednesday, March 22, 2017

I'm Surprised The Paparazzi Weren't Lurking In The Bushes

I can't settle on a day to do my weekly shopping, now that all days are the same to me, and Farmer H is not locked into a M-F (that's Monday through Friday, you pottyminds!) schedule. All I know for sure is that I don't want to go to The Devil's Playground on a Friday. Unless it's pretty early in the morning.

Tuesdays are usually good. School-age kids are not there. Working people are not loading up after payday. The post-weekend shelf-stocking has been accomplished. Seems like other folks have the same idea with Tuesday shopping. I looked up to see a former school board member on the Diet Coke aisle. He might still be one. It makes me no nevermind. I was just turning around from the shelf when he greeted me, trying to wedge an 8-pack of mini bottles of Diet Coke on the side of the cart beside the 6-pack of regular size bottles of Diet Coke. I had to leave the other side of the cart free for two 4-packs of Farmer H's bottles of Strawberry Water.

"How are you doing?"

"Oh! Good! I'm good...really great. I love it."

Maybe that was overkill. I didn't want to insult him. I really liked my years at Newmentia. But who WOULDN'T rather drive around all day buying lottery tickets and 44 oz Diet Coke, rather than get up at 4:50 a.m. to spend seven hours preparing the citizens of tomorrow?

I saw a lady who used to be an aide at Newmentia, and may still be. She and her husband played on our trivia team a couple of times. Nice people. She was in the parking lot, and perhaps didn't see me inside T-Hoe, what with snatching the hand of her probable-grandson like I was some kind of reckless driver. Maybe that kid was having a sick day. He looked old enough to be in school.

In line at the checkout, I was startled by Nurse Nan. She's been retired for years, but my kids were some of the last to know her in school. Even though for some reason The Pony always referred to her as Nurse Sue. She came up and hugged me.

"I just have to do this!"

"We've got to stop meeting like this!" I saw here there two weeks ago, as I was leaving and she was coming in. It wasn't even a Tuesday.

"I haven't been here for two weeks! I've been really sick."

"Good to know. Now that you've hugged me."

"Oh, I'm MUCH better today! I feel great."

"Well...you look a little tired."

"I'm great compared to what I was. Anyway...I just wanted to say 'Hi.' I'll probably see you next week here!"

"Probably."

It's SO HARD to do your shopping unnoticed when you're a small town celebrity.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Oh my goodness, do you need to make room for an autograph table during the estate tours, so you can sign autographs?

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Wednesdays?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I'm sure Farmer H can build me a table for signing purposes. I can't guarantee the signature, though. It's hard for me to see in my sunglasses, without bifocals.

***
fishducky,
No, I don't think I've tried Wednesdays. That might be the best day of the week. I'll consider it next week. Unless I run out of necessities before then, of course!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I like to shop after midnight, but I like to sleep even better. Wednesdays are pretty good at my Walmart, except for the ongoing remodel.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
One of the members of The Semi Weekly Meeting of the Newmentia Lunch Time Think Tank preferred to do her shopping in the early morning hours.