Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Pause That Replenishes

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom is not the only one who hits the road every day to quench her powerful thirst. While her drink of choice is 44 oz Diet Coke, others prefer their beverage plain. Very plain. Though perhaps not pure.


When I came down the hill towards EmBee to pick up the mail on Friday, this is what I saw. It's the fire department, filling their tanker truck with water from our creek. The water is only a couple inches deep here. It runs over flat rocks. There's a deeper section down by the low water bridge that floods, but there's nowhere to park the truck there without impeding traffic. I'm pretty sure I could have squeezed by here if I was headed on up the road.

There are actually two fire trucks. You can't see the one parked in front of this one. I couldn't tell if it was also a tanker truck, or just a rescue truck. I'm not in the habit of turning my head around backwards while I drive up our gravel road.

I'm wondering how long it took to fill up that truck, using such a small hose and two inches of water.

I might be wrong, though. You know what happens when we assume. Maybe they were getting ready to do a photo shoot for a fireman beefcake calendar, and were waiting for me to leave.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

HM--Yeah, I'm sure they were taking topless photos for that calendar. They had to wait until you'd left--no freebies when it comes to looky-lous! No free milk--you have to buy the cow--or the bull, in this case--to get that milk.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
At least they had time to get their calendar together, rather than being tied up extracting a certain teacher's head from where it was wedged between the faucet and the sink of the faculty women's restroom...

Anonymous said...

I want to hear more about a certain teacher's head from where it was wedged between the faucet and the sink of the faculty women's restroom!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
Be careful what you wish for...

http://siouxspage.blogspot.com/2012/01/help-my-heads-caught-and-i-cant-get-it.html

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I wonder if I could convince our fire dept. to suck the green water from our pool. It holds 50,000 gallons and we have to pump it out in order to scrub the pool and paint.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You could always call and ask! Don't cost nothin'!