Sunday, October 18, 2020

Nuggets Of Couth

On the day of my bank NON-APPOINTMENT, I treated myself to a fast-food lunch on the way home. You know, a little reward for getting up EARLY for my 1:15 appointment that never was. Farmer H and The Pony had taken a jaunt down to the cemetery where Farmer H's parents are buried. The Pony never met them, nor I, either, since they had passed away before I met Farmer H.
 
Anyhoo... don't ASSume I went to Dairy Queen. I haven't been there in over a week. I still love their soft pretzels, but I don't love the way they've shrunk by at least 1/3 in size, and the tiny nuggety chicken strips that they've been pawning off on the 2-for-$4 menu. Sweet Gummi Mary! What's the world coming to when you can't get a good portion of chicken or soft pretzels for $2 each?
 
Anhoo... I went through Burger King. Yes, yes, I hear you. "Mrs. HM, why would you go THERE, after they served you a lettuce-burger when you ordered a Whopper without lettuce?" I know. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I should have taken The Pony's offer for him and Farmer H to bring me Captain D's fish on their way home from their trip.
 
Anyhoo... I pulled up to the speaker and started my standard order.
 
"I'd like a Number One Medium Combo, with no cheese--"
 
"Would you like cheese or bacon on that?"
 
"No. NO cheese, no bacon. And no--"
 
"Okay, so a Whopper Combo. What kind of soda do you want with that?"

"Also, NO LETTUCE. And a Diet Coke."

"Would you like to upgrade that to a medium or large combo?"

"Yes. Like I said, a MEDIUM combo."

"Okay. Pull around for your total."

What in the NOT HEAVEN? They ALWAYS give the total through the speaker! Even when they mess up my lettuce! I pulled around. Nobody else was ahead of me. I handed my debit card through the window in the little clear tub the lady shoved out. She did not read my order back to me. She shoved my card back, mummied in the receipt, in that tub. 

I pulled forward forthwith, not wanting to hold up the behind-me line. The next lady was one that usually gives out the food. She put a soda in HER little-larger clear plastic tub, and held it out, saying, "Small Diet Coke?"

"Um. I ordered a MEDIUM COMBO. But I guess that lady didn't listen. She was too busy talking to hear me."

"Oh. I'll fix that." 

She pulled the tub back in, took out the soda, and POURED IT OUT! She told a young man at her shoulder to pour a medium Diet Coke. Seriously. She could have just poured the small into a bigger cup, and added to it. I didn't mean for her to waste a couple cents worth of Burger King's fountain soda. She handed out the medium soda, and said

"We're just waiting on your fries."

"Okay. How much extra do I owe for the medium combo?"

"Oh, don't worry about that!"

"Well, thank you!"

She handed out my food bag. I set it on the passenger seat, and didn't open it, so as to keep the food warm. When I got home, The Pony trotted out to carry in my bank folder, food bag, and soda.

"You wouldn't believe what the Burger King people did today! But at least they upgraded me to a MEDIUM, and didn't charge me!"

"They did even better than that. You get four free chicken nuggets!"

Indeed, when I got inside, I saw that they'd put a coupon sticker on the bag.


That might pair well with some short Dairy Queen soft pretzels, next time I'm out with The Pony.

2 comments:

River said...

I see what you did there, The Pony, trotting :)
Yay for free nuggets!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I need to read the fine print. It didn't look like any other purchase is necessary. So they are truly FREE, unless I have to pay the sales tax for the non-sale.