Saturday, November 5, 2022

Looks Like I Worried Needlessly About Playing Favorites With The Dog Treats

Leave it to Farmer H to reveal how futile it is to dole out treats fairly to the dogs. I had split up some of the previous day's chicken bones. Stop frothing at the mouth! I've never had a dog get ill from eating a chicken bone, in my umm... considerable years of feeding dogs chicken bones. I left the bones in a baggie overnight. They were moist.

Juno got a slice of bread (better to bind to the bone fragments during passage) and the breast carcass and the wing drumstick bone. Copper Jack got a slice of bread and the thigh bones (which includes a back-looking flat part). And my little Jack got part of a bread slice, and the pointy wing bone that nobody eats, with skin all over it, and the two little bones from that other wing part that are like the radius and ulna of a human forearm.

Of course Juno darted out of her house and snatched Jack's two small bones while he was eating the skin-covered one. Darn her greedy self! She already got more because she's bigger, and skinnier. Copper Jack minded his manners. Little Jack took his bread and ran around the corner to keep it from Juno.
 
Farmer H arrived home, and fed Juno her evening can of beef chunks in gravy. He hollered at Jack to get away. Which also scared off Copper Jack. When he came in, I again chastised Farmer H for the harsh voice while Juno was trying to eat.
 
"Oh, she ate her food. Jack run off, and I seen him in the front yard eating a rabbit when I came in."
 
I'm pretty sure Jack wasn't sharing. No wonder he looks so portly, even though I try to minimize his treats. He has no self-control!

2 comments:

River said...

At least Juno still ate her food. Perhaps she is getting used to Farmer H's harsh voice after all these years?
Did Jack actually chase down and kill that rabbit?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think Juno's greed outweighed her fear of Farmer H's harsh voice. Jack is a good rabbit-chaser. He's low to the ground, and can turn on a dime. Copper Jack also chases with him, and Juno used to. They were more likely to over-run the prey, but could funnel it to where Jack could get it. He's had several rabbits this summer. He does not share!