Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Baiters And Switchers Have A Heyday With Mrs. HM

I'm not doing any Christmas shopping this year. Farmer H says he doesn't need anything, and the boys are grown. I'll still give my Chex Mix, and some scratchers to Farmer H and the boys. But I don't really have a need to hit Black Friday sales, or take advantage of Cyber Monday. Except...

Farmer H has worn out his shoes. His feet had been hurting him during the summer, and I got a catalog from ordering work shoes for The Pony. He thumbed through it and found some shoes he'd like to try. Skechers. I made another order for The Pony, so he could have a spare pair to switch off if his shoes got waterlogged on a rainy day. There was a sale back then, 40% off.

Of course Farmer H's shoes were not on sale! So I still paid full price, because he wanted them. He loved those shoes! But they've started to wear out. So he asked if I could get him another pair. I said I'd get two, because usually you find something you really like, and then they change the style or "improve" it, and it's not the same.

Anyhoo... I kept getting emails from this company about their Cyber Monday sale with 30% off sitewide. I checked my old emails and found the order for Farmer H's shoes, and got the style number and size. I went into the site to order, looking forward to my 30% off of two pairs. You know what happened, right?

I used the discount code, and a message popped up in red that the manufacturer didn't allow this product to be discounted. Huh. I wonder how many brands on that site come up with the same message? I didn't waste my time trying. I just ordered Farmer H's shoes at full price. Oh, and they've gone up $10 a pair since summer!

This is an annoying tactic to drag people in hoping for a discount. It could at least say "30% off on selected merchandise." And not appear as if everything is 30% off.

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My daughter-in-law to be bought a pair of skechers for me and I love them. I have wide feet and am hard to fit, but these are great. I didn' need a new pair of shoes, but she informed me that because she gave them to me, they are filled with love! I love this new family member. But, I was going to tell you that Walmart carries the brand on-line and they might have a good discount now.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I will check and see if Walmart has this model. Farmer H got his first pair at the Famous Footwear over in Bill-Paying Town, after I suggested them. I suppose they were not filled with love! He says the model I ordered for him is much more comfortable, so we'll stick with that one until they "improve" it! Farmer H has wide stubby feet.

River said...

I agree they should ALWAYS add "on selected merchandise".
I see that a lot here, xxx% off on selected items only, but it's usually in small print and many people just don't see it. All the see is xxx% OFF.

angie said...

My husband bought a pair of Skechers boots for work. He likes them. I have Skeckers in all colors and they are comfortable.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The nerve of this site! They are STILL sending me emails about their soon-ending 30% off! If I wasn't so triggered by them, I might ask The Pony if he needs any spare shoes for work.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Angie,
I tried on some Skechers at the local store, but they didn't have the extra wide. I may or may not have liked them, but I knew they were cushy, so recommended them to Farmer H. Maybe sometime I'll order a pair for myself.