Tuesday, November 1, 2022

The Universe Even Shines On Mrs. HM's Rumpus Some Days

It goes without saying that Mrs. HM uses the hand rail when she goes up and down steps. But I'm saying it anyway. The hand rail Farmer H put by the steps at the side porch, leading down to the garage sidewalk, is not the best hand rail ever designed. It's a 2 x 6 board, skinny side up. Still, I can rest my hand on it for support.

Last week, I was preoccupied with sweet-talking Juno, who is plumping up nicely, and also shedding most of her matted hair. Plus smelling sweet from the fresh cedar chips Farmer H put in her house. Juno had trotted from the side porch (using her back foot that was lame!) to the top of the four steps. She stepped down on the first one, so I patted her while absentmindedly putting my left hand on the hand rail to start up.

YUCK! I felt something under my palm! I figured one of the birds who like to steal dry dog food had perched there waiting for an opportunity, and had pooped on the hand rail. I looked with disgust at the rail as I lifted my hand. And saw

A STINGING INSECT!

It looked to me like a hornet or yellowjacket, although such an aggressive beast would have been upon me, wreaking fierce havoc, like that floggin' rooster after Nicole Kidman as Ada Monroe in Cold Mountain.

It was about an inch long, with a yellowish, black-banded nether region. I must have stunned it, because it sat a moment, then buzzed off.

I was quite happy to avoid a sting. Aside from tiny sweat bees, I've only been stung once or twice in my life, one of those times being early childhood when I walked barefoot through clover. This is one area where I have an advantage over Farmer H, who seems to be a Sting Magnet.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I often have surprise encounters with stinging insects. Usually they will leave you alone unless they feel like you are a threat. You know, like slicing into their underground abode with a shovel, or hitting their nest with a rake. I think the yellow jackets are the meaner ones. Glad to hear Juno is getting back her full figure. Toni Louise is getting a little too wide. She is always first in line for a treat.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I would consider it a threat if somebody pinned me down under their palm. So I had a lucky escape from stinging wrath! No way could I try to outrun a horde of them like you!

Toni Louise seems a bit smaller than Juno, so I suppose her figure shows the weight more... Farmer H says Juno is eating better than we do! He gives her a can of food in the morning, and one in the evening, and I give her a treat midday.

River said...

Perhaps the insect had already dropped its sting and was no longer able to hurt you.
I read somewhere that dogs are supposed to be fed once a day. Seems a bit cruel.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, it's possible that beast was stinging blanks!

Most dogs can get by on that. I think they only need a handful of dry food, according to Dr. Pol. I chastised Farmer H for overfeeding them, with the squirrels swarming to get their leftovers. However... Juno was dropping too much weight. Maybe that food didn't agree with her. She certainly started shunning it.

All our hound-type dogs have been gluttons! Always wanting to eat, and wanting more! Like our beagle Tank, and our half-beagle Grizzly, and now the half-dachshund Jack. Our old neighbors had a basset hound named Albert who was an eating machine! At least Juno now has her appetite back.