Monday, November 14, 2022

The Pony Ponies Up

I normally pick up The Pony's house payment during the first few days of the month. Depending on how the dates fall with his days off. This month, we had problems connecting. The Pony used a day off to go with Farmer H to pick out the stain for the back wall of his house, and they had lunch. Then I had a doctor appointment, and The Pony turned up sick. So I did NOT want to be around him and risk catching something. That did NOT work out well last January!
 
The Pony was off for Veteran's Day, but he and Farmer H took The Veteran out to lunch at a Chinese place. So yesterday was really the first opportunity I had to go collect The Pony's house payment. It's no big deal. Not like we have a loan or anything. I just put the money back into our account that we used to buy and upgrade Pony House.
 
It's just as well that this transaction was delayed. Because in the meantime, the county tax bills arrived! So I also gathered the yearly tax payment on Pony House, and half of the taxes due on the Double Hovel. We are responsible for that, because that was part of the closing agreement. Farmer H told the seller to just bring him the bill when he got it, but the county clerk had handwritten our address on it, so it came to us. 
 
Anyhoo... The Pony forked over his house payment, the county tax that was just about that same amount, and the half of the Double Hovel taxes that were about half his house payment amount.
 
"Is this a hardship for you, Pony? To pay all that at one time? Because we can stagger it if you need to."
 
"Nope. Not a problem. As you can see."
 
The Pony pulled up his bank account info on his phone. He's right. NOT A PROBLEM!
 
I made him write out three separate checks. For his records. So he'll know what he paid. The Pony is not the best record-keeper. 

While I was there, I dropped off The Pony's winter coat. It has been laying across the back of the long couch since last winter, when The Pony no longer needed it while delivering mail. He really likes the hood, and the vertical zip pockets for putting his phone in to listen to music and podcasts while he works. Every time he came out to the Mansion, I thought he might take it home with him. But you know how that goes. He moved into Pony House in May, and it's been warm ever since.

"Pony. Do you want me to bring your coat when I come by for the house payment?"
 
"Not sure what you're talking about, but yeah. Go ahead."
 
"That red and gray one I got you in college. That you wore when you walked instead of driving or taking the shuttle. The coat you wore to deliver mail in the winter, with the hood. The one we tried to wash because it had ink from the mail on it."

"Oh. THAT one! Yeah, I'll need it for winter. I thought it was in my car all this time."

Good thing he didn't try to wear it during the snow on Saturday...

2 comments:

River said...

I guess mail delivering pays a lot better than I imagined. It's good that he is able to pay those things, he will have his house free and clear long before he thinks of marriage and/or children.
He'll be glad you brought the coat too.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The Pony is making what I made after 20 years of teaching. Plus he has health insurance and retirement benefits now. So he's doing fine. He really has only his house payment and utilities as regular expenses. No car payment or loans. So I guess his food expenses are about his only extravagance. And maybe computer games. Snow in Tuesday's forecast, but that's The Pony's day off. He probably tossed his coat into his car by now, though it looked like he carried it in the house.