Friday, November 22, 2019

No Rest For The Wicked Weary

Sweet Gummi Mary! It is 1:54 a.m. as I sit in my LIGHTED basement lair and type this. Oh, don't think that Farmer H fixed my fluorescent lights. One of the four is working, though. Completely, burning both long bulbs, right over New Delly's keyboard.

I now understand what my mom meant, when she used to tell me,
"Oh, there's so much to do!"

Of course I would chide her. "WHAT, Mom? WHAT is there to do? You don't have to go anywhere or do ANYTHING if you don't want to." Heh, heh. So smug was I, working and keeping two boys alive and catering to Farmer H's every need.

Now that I don't really have anything to do all day, I am SO BUSY! Sorry. I don't mean to scare anybody contemplating retirement. You know who you are, Madam...

Thursday is the only real crunch time I have. It's the day I write the boys' letters. But tonight (last night) I had other things to do. Some of which aren't getting done. So there. Sue me. Lock me up and throw away the key. I wouldn't even be writing this except that I wanted to vent.

I got a late start to town because I was looking at the tax bills. I've had them a week or so, but need to get them in the mail when I'm at the post office tomorrow (today), since one of them will be overweight.

In town, I got some Chex Mix makings, since we're going to visit The Pony, and later my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel. I didn't get home until around 2:45. Then had to make my own lunch. I KNOW! Life is hard!

Seems like no sooner did I eat lunch than it was time to go make Farmer H's supper. I'd actually made it before going to town, and it was in FRIG II in the pan, ready to warm up. He wanted Li'l Smokies and beans. Like beanie weenies. Of course he came in just before I started down with my lunch, delaying me even more, and said he was going to take apart the ice maker. NO! I wasn't in a mood to deal with no ice on my BUSY day!

Anyhoo...I told Farmer H that I'd be up around 6:00 to warm his supper, but if he wanted it sooner, he could do it himself by putting the pan on the stove and turning on the burner. Can you believe he said no, that he'd wait for me to do it? Yeah. I was pretty sure you could. Oh, and he wanted me to dice an onion for him to put in it.

So...once I made my own supper of Devil's Playground Orange Chicken, I still had to type up two letters and two blog posts and write out two checks for the eight tax bills, and address three envelopes, and get into the safe to take out the money I've been putting away for the tax bills. I was supposed to call for room reservations for our Pony visit, but I'll do that tomorrow (today) after my town trip.

I got a lot more done when I was working, you know. Not that I have any plans to return.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Oh, why not? The students today are MUCH more pleasant than they were when you were still teaching.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Heh, heh! I'm not buying any swampland in Florida from you, either. I understand the nature of the beast.

River said...

I understand this so well. I have absolutely nothing that needs doing yet I get so little of it done.

Sioux Roslawski said...

You called it like I see 'em.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I know! How is it possible?

***
Sioux,
You can't take the teaching out of the teacher...