Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Rejection: All In A Day's Not-Work For Mrs. HM

It's feast or famine at The Gas Station Chicken Store. And I'm not talking about their delicious fried poultry. No, I'm either treated like royalty, or virtually being told to take a hike!

Tuesday, I stepped up to the end of the aisle to pay for my magical elixir. A lady was paying for two 32 oz sodas (amateur!) and other stuff at the glass lottery counter. An older lady was over by the door at the side counter, waiting to pay for gas with a card. A man was directly in front of me. And another lady came in the door and stood off to the side. I really think she got to a waiting-like place before I stepped all the way up. It's so hard to tell in TGSCS, where people don't seem to understand the concept of a line.

Anyhoo, the Nice Guy Clerk was working. He had the Soda Lady and Gas Granny under control, going from one to the other. The Woman Owner opened up the second register, on the left, and said she could help somebody. The man ahead of me stepped over to her.

He didn't take long, and Woman Owner gave me the head sign that she'd wait on me. I jabbed my scratchers at the Came-In Lady. "I think she was ahead of me." Came-In Lady stepped over, and paid $3 for gas, and got a pack of cigarettes. Priorities, you know.

While Came-In Lady was paying, a Young Dude walked in, past me, over by the chicken case. I knew I was next. It didn't matter who waited on me. I always trade my scratchers equally, or take money back from a bigger win. I have my exact change for the 44 oz Diet Coke ready. I'm a pretty easy transaction.

Came-In Lady was done, on her way out. Soda Lady gathered up her lesser elixirs and started out. Gas Granny also turned to leave. I was next.

Woman Owner looked at me, and I started towards her. All at once, she said, "HE has the machine!" What in the NOT-HEAVEN? Was she REJECTING ME? Pawning me off on Nice Guy Clerk? Sweet Gummi Mary! Woman Owner is usually so fake-nice to me!

"Oh. Okay. I can handle rejection." I said with my left eyebrow raised.

"OH! No, no! I didn't mean it like that!" Said Woman Owner. Heh, heh.

I know she didn't. But she was awfully eager to take Young Dude, who was paying cash for $5 in gas. Nice Guy Clerk treated me right, though.

It just dawned on me that Woman Owner might have a camera out by her air hose, and glimpsed me stealing some air for T-Hoe's tire the day before...

4 comments:

River said...

I think she just wanted to serve the eye-candy young dude, while at the same time giving you another look at the eye-candy nice clerk.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
He was young, but not exactly eye candy. He dressed in the manner of Farmer H. I am sure he WAS sweeter than me, though! The nice young clerk is probably late 20s/early 30s, with a hipster beard! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Don't they know what a following you have? People could write nasty letters and give horrible reviews for this gas station, based on the horrible way you were treated.

Don't they know who they're dealing with?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That will be my next response: DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM??? They shall rue the day they reject Mrs. Hillbilly Mom again!