Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Laws Of Physics Have Been Broken At The Mansion

Odd things come in fours, right? That's not an actual thing. I've always heard about stuff coming in threes. So these events are probably not connected. But it makes me think. Unexplainable things had been calm around here for a while. Until The Pony stirred them up. Let's review.

Friday night (Oct 25) The Pony had his Ouijafest at his college apartment
Wednesday night (Oct 30) The Pony's cable TV got static-y
Saturday/Sunday (Nov 2/3) Mrs. HM's clock went wonky
Monday (Nov 4)...

I was having a good snooze in my toasty warm bed. Farmer H had left around 7:30 a.m. I know that, because I asked him later. I knew he had a dentist appointment that morning, but he always goes to town early. At 9:15, I was awakened by a scammer phone call. I hadn't answered it, only listened to the machine saying the number. The scammers rarely leave a message.

I was just laying there under the quilt my grandma made us for a wedding present, one foot hanging out, refreshingly cool. I wanted to drift back to sleep. I saw no urgency in getting up, with Farmer H not around to sleep-shame me. I mentally planned my errands. It was shopping day, because of other engagements mid-week. I needed to buy a Missouri Wines scratcher to put in Genius's letter...

CRACK!

What in the Not-Heaven? That noise came from the master bathroom. Huh. Nobody in there. What in there could fall? A razor, or Farmer H's toothbrush, or tube of toothpaste, from the top edge of the shower door frame?

It was hard sound. Not a thump. More of a clank. But not metallic. Like if you drop a plastic hairbrush on ceramic tile.

Well. Of course there was no going back to sleep then. I had to investigate. I hobbled to the bathroom. I hate to get my joints going in the morning.

I surveyed possible explanations. Nothing had fallen. The tiles showed nothing out of place. Nor did the counter or sink. Nothing on the closet floor. Nothing in the big triangle tub. Nothing in the shower. AHA!

The toilet brush had fallen over. It had been leaned in the corner made by the wall and the shower frame where it meets the wall. It's not part of the sliding door and trim. The solid frame, and the wall. I'm the one who cleans the toilet. I'm the one who knows that brush had been there for three days, since it had dripped dry over the wastebasket after being rinsed from my last toilet-cleaning episode.

Let the record show that the Mansion is not subject to earthquakes. Not the fault kind, nor the fracking kind that plague The Pony in Oklahoma. Farmer H had been out of the house for two hours. I was in bed. Nothing should have vibrated that toilet brush to tip it over. As a former physics teacher, I believe that an object at rest should stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force.

It's almost like that toilet brush flung itself to the tile...

5 comments:

River said...

I'm guessing that toilet brush just couldn't take anymore and tried to end it all. Think about it. What kind of life does a toilet brush have? I'm surprised more of them don't try that last big leap.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Heh, heh! Reminds me of a t-shirt with a roll of toilet paper telling a toothbrush, "You think YOUR job is bad..."

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Poltergeist, you have a poltergeist.

River said...

I've seen that cartoon on the internet and honestly think the toothbrush has it worse. Toilet paper gets pieces torn off and flushed away, the toothbrush suffers the same indignity for months at a time, sometimes several times a day.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I'm thinking you are correct. Seems mischievous, not malevolent. The most scary event here has been a poke in the neck (twice) while sleeping.

***
River,
I like the t-shirt with the Steamed Vegetables. They are NOT happy!