Monday, June 15, 2020

How Hot Is That Doggie In The Window

When I came out of the Gas Station Chicken Store on Sunday afternoon, an old green pickup truck pulled in with windows down. The baying of 3 or 4 hounds nearly deafened me! I can understand people taking their pets for a ride. And the pets getting excited. But these dogs were amped up! Were they barking at ME?

I looked inside as I passed. Dogs of assorted sizes jumping over the front seat to the narrow back seat of that club cab. The man driving was telling his wife to settle them down. I rounded the rear of T-Hoe, and saw what might have stirred up those canines.


Parked one space over was THIS little cutie. Again, I understand people taking their pets for a ride. But it was 84 degrees. I know that lady only ran in the GSCS for a minute. But still, her loyal companion was inside a virtual oven. At least she might have allowed him a bit more window crack:


It's not like he was going to squeeze out of this meager opening. I'd think a couple more inches would have been safe. It's not like anyone could get a fat arm down inside to unlock her door, or pull out the pooch. She returned before I left. No harm done. But the past two days have been in the mid-90s. And that doggie is wearing a fur coat!

Good thing I'm not mouthy about other people's business. Also a good thing it wasn't in the 90s. Because I might have given her my opinion.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I hate hot dogs. I used to love them, but now... Nope.

But THAT kind of hot dog I hate the worst. If we were stuck in a car where the engine was turned off, and the window was just barely cracked, we'd be waving the door open and shut, trying to get some sort of breeze. And we don't have a permanent fur coat on.

Those other dogs were probably barking, trying to alert the police or a doggie ambulance.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Those other dogs, though not physically similar, sounded and acted like the Bumpus hounds in "A Christmas Story." They were either alerting doggie emergency services, or seeking a Christmas turkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cFHAJ5asMk

River said...

A car with four baying hounds all going berserk at once? There's a headache in the making.
I feel sorry for the little one all alone too, I'm glad his owner wasn't gone for too long, I would have had to stay there and worry in case he became distressed.
We never took our dogs anywhere in the car, the only trip they ever got was the one where we brought them home as puppies, and we only ever had one dog at a time.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
We took my teenage childhood dog, Buster, for rides in the car. He was a black miniature poodle. One of us was always left in the car with him, so windows were down.

I'd never take Jack. His wide paws with sturdy digging claws would destroy T-Hoe's leather seats! Our current dogs are only in vehicles for vet visits. Farmer H ties Juno down with a leash on the floor of SilverRedO. Jack goes in a carrier.