Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Lady Luck Has Forsaken Me

Seems like only four days ago, I bemoaned the fact that The Pony has stolen my lottery luck. You know, when he won $50 on a $5 scratcher I bought him with my very own lottery allowance. Oh, that's right. It WAS only four days ago.

Today I waltzed into the Mansion kitchen, fresh from a lottery run (with a side of 44 oz Diet Coke), and told The Pony I had a ticket I could give him. I set aside the ones I'd bought for Friend's birthday, and one I'd gotten specifically for myself. But there were a couple extras, also for me. I let The Pony have his choice.

Before the words were even out of my mouth, he said,

"I'll take the pink one!"

And snatched that ticket out from the rest, before I even had a chance to spread them out. I'd been wanting that pink ticket for myself, a Lady Luck. In fact, I'd been about to buy it in the Country Mart machine on the left, but it said there were only three remaining. So I went over to the lottery machine on the right, and bought it there.

You know what happened, right? The Pony had a $50 winner!


Right there in the middle. That symbol for an instant $50.


I've been faithfully buying this ticket for months. It's flashy. It has never given me winners. So I've been thinking that it's due. In fact, I've been glancing down at the winning symbols at the bottom before I scratch. I just had a feeling I was due to get a symbol, not match a number.

As The Pony explained after choosing it right out from under me, and winning,

"I just had a hunch."

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Why don't you let The Pony choose the tickets you're going to keep. Maybe he can trick Lady Luck into smiling down upon you.

Or maybe you're just going to get the short end of the stick until The Pony moves out on his own...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
The Pony isn't that easy to fool! It's like the cornucopia scene in "The Hunger Games" when I lay out the tickets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oISBveQNkzA

River said...

When I read your title I thought maybe Lady Luck was self-isolating for a while, but to hear she has chosen to switch her loyalty is harsh. Or maybe she thinks The Pony needs a bit of moola to buy his own butter.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Heh, heh! She's out NOW! I think she's even wearing her mask down under her chin. Details next post.