Thursday, December 16, 2021

A Break In Sight From The Tongue That Bites

Farmer H may get a brief respite from Mrs. HM's nightly chastisement. You know, that period set aside for: This is the Time We Discuss the Most Recent Thing You've Done Wrong. Probably just for one night, though. And it may not happen, depending on what he does wrong!

To earn this reprieve, Farmer H declared that

"I could grill for Christmas dinner."

You betcha! I'm okay with that! Farmer H is a good griller. Better yet, while he's grilling, that's a dish I'M not making! He really thought it could help take the workload off me. However...

My sister the ex-ex-mayor's wife has decided that this year, guests will bring a dish. Or two. Fair enough. She goes to a lot of effort and expense to host her Christmas Eve shindig. We determined that it's no good for me to bring a hot dish, because it would be cold by the time we got there. Besides, the ex-ex mayor LOVES my deviled eggs and potato salad. Those are the dishes I am requested to bring.

So... it doesn't really save me much from my own Christmas dinner preparations. I'll make enough for US, too, since I have to make them anyway. And The Pony loves the roasted vegetables. So we'll have them. I offered to make baked beans for Farmer H's grilling. He loves baked beans. All I have to do is open a can of beans, chop an onion, and shove a glass dish in the oven.

I won't be making the 7-Layer Salad, because I'm not sure I can find romaine. It was suspiciously absent from Save A Lot on Wednesday. And I won't make the hash brown potatoes, which aren't that hard anyway. We'll still have Sister Schubert's rolls. And The Pony MIGHT want Stove Top Stuffing. Takes 5 minutes.

Yeah. You can bet I'll make sure Farmer H grills enough meat to last for leftovers. He and The Pony want steaks. I'd like a BBQ pork steak. Then we'll have some sausages for future days with our sides.

4 comments:

River said...

Here I thought you'd have an easy day, but then there's all the work with the devilled eggs and potato salad for the other meal. at least with left over grilled meats you should get some time off from the kitchen for a couple of days after.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I KNOW! I need to get started on all my Chex Mix this weekend. Then I'll do the two Oreo Cakes for HOS (Farmer H's Oldest Son) and The Veteran on Wednesday. I'll most likely make Sis's deviled eggs and potato salad on Christmas Eve eve, and ours during the day on Christmas Eve. That way, hers are done for sure, and ready to go. The eggs and potatoes will already be boiled for ours. So I'm not tied down by a marathon of deviling and salading, without a chance to get my magical elixir!

The leftovers will be good. Everybody can warm their own, and dip out of the Chinese Tupperware of potato salad, and the deviled egg tray.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I don't eat either one of those side dishes, but I know how labor intensive they are--especially those pesky eggs. However, any way that Farmer H can help is greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

Are you working on a Christmas song parody? You have the time. After all, you haven't had the fun of five long weeks happening in just. This. Week.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I have not planned a song parody. I will selflessly permit you to be a guest-parody-er, and post your own plagiarized fake song right here at the Hillbilly Mansion! Maybe a little Steve Miller Band? I know how you love it. After all:

You're a hoper, a non-doper, you're a five-week-long coper. You do your parody-ing on the sly.

I'll even provide you will all the deviled eggs and potato salad you can eat!