Friday, December 31, 2021

Dairy Queen And Country Mart Deli Are A Danger To The Eyes

I am reminded of a scene from my favorite western movie, the original 1968 version of True Grit. No, it's not a dramatic scene like John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn telling Robert Duvall as Lucky Ned Pepper to "Fill your hand, you son of a b!tch." [2:42]

No, it's a less-quoted scene, where Glen Campbell as La Boeuf is warned by a fellow resident of the Monarch Boarding House, "Watch out for the chicken and dumplings. They'll hurt your eyes. Hurt your eyes lookin' for the chicken!" [1:45]

I wish a random squirrel-headed b@st@rd had warned ME about such a danger from Dairy Queen and the Country Mart Deli.

During Christmas week, I did not make full meals, because I was making Chex Mix, and gearing up to do the potato salad and deviled eggs and roasted vegetables. No need to overexert myself! So I did easy meals that only needed oven-warming for Farmer H and The Pony, and picked up something for myself when I was in town.

One meal was a Honey BBQ Chicken Basket from Dairy Queen. I know I've spoken of it before. The chicken is delicious with that sauce. WHEN you get actual chicken inside the breading! This time, I did not.

 
One piece was 95% breading! That's where I've taken a bite, and been sorely disappointed.

But that wasn't my only disappointment for the week! I bought a container of Chicken Salad at Country Mart's cold deli counter. You know I love me some Chicken Salad. This time it wasn't packaged on a croissant with grapes, and it wasn't in a little tub surrounded by heavy grapes and apples, sold by weight. No, this time, it was in a regular labeled container. Surely that must be what they use on their sandwiches. So I bought a little tub.

 
Imagine my disappointment when I got down to my lair, having dipped out 1/3 of the contents, accompanied by a croissant from their bakery, and a sprig of reg grapes bought especially for this feast... and discovered, upon the first and second and third bites: IT WAS MAINLY WHITE LIQUID! That's right. I might have tasted a shred or two of actual chicken. But it was mainly the mayo-ish liquid that makes it a 'salad.'

The next night, I had to add a WHOLE CAN of white meat chicken to the remains of the white liquid. Here's a picture, chicken added:

 
What looks like it might be celery is actually just chunks of the canned chicken that are normal chicken color, but took on that tint in comparison to the red counter, perhaps. Because there were no solids in my Chicken Salad until I added just chicken.

You shouldn't have to add chicken to your store-bought chicken salad! But at least it was an option. No way could I stuff that Honey BBQ breading with chicken.

2 comments:

River said...

Shame on them! They should rename it chicken flavoured salad. Or perhaps because it is prepackaged it goes along a little conveyor belt thing and your tub was the last in a line about two million long so all the chicken was gone by then and only mayo left. Either way, I think you should send photos and a letter of complaint to the manufacturer, but not to the store because they don't make the stuff they only sell it.
I would have been very disappointed with that lump of fried breading.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Farmer H and I had the DQ BBQ chicken a few days ago, and we got actual chicken this time. I'm NOT trying the chicken salad again! I had mistakenly bought what I THOUGHT was chicken salad a couple weeks ago, but it was seafood salad. LOTS of chunky meat in there. I'll try it again. That's one reason why I was so disappointed with the lack of chicken. I'd have to buy it again to send pictures of the non-chicken chicken salad.