Sunday, December 5, 2021

People Who Work As A Team To Not Do Their Job Right, But With A Justifiable Excuse

Thursday on errand day, I stopped by the Sis-Town Casey's for T-Hoe's gas, and scratchers. There were six people ahead of me, two cashiers working. One of the waitees was a former work colleague! I slapped him on the bicep with my winning scratchers, and he squinted at me like a slug in the sun exposed by overturning a rotting log. Because he was actually looking into the setting sun, which is quite bright through the front windows.

We chatted a moment about old times, and his new times, then the drive-thru guy came out to help with customers, and said, "Is that soda all you have? Just take it." So he got a free soda! Time had passed, and I was next. I stepped up to the left register when a man completed his transaction.

The Young Man Cashier fiddled around with something laying on the front of his register. No use delaying the inevitable. It was my turn, and he was open, and I had three scratchers to cash in for $22. He scanned my winners, and printed out the little receipt, and said I had $22. I told him I wanted $22 in gas on Pump 4. And that I was also buying scratchers.

Young Man Cashier tore off the scratchers as I asked for them. He rang them up. $20, which is what I had planned. Then he went to ringing up the gas and scratchers, and I punched in Farmer H's code (which is my phone number) to get his Casey's Reward points.

It looked like Young Man Cashier had everything under control. He was not the most friendly guy in the world, but he was courteous, and seemed to know what he was doing. No hesitation. Then he did it over again. Then he called for help.
 
A more experienced gal stepped over. "Oh, here's what you do." She rang up my gas and scratchers, then took off the $22 credit from the scratchers winnings. Only she didn't. She tried it all again. Then called for a manager. I'm sure it was a manager. She was carrying a clipboard.

"Okay. Let's see..." She cleared out the entire transaction. Rang up the gas and tickets again. Took off the ticket winnings. NOT! It didn't work for her, either. "We're sorry. We'll get it figured out."

"No problem. I'm not in a hurry."
 
Manager was perplexed. Then a light bulb went off over her head. Figuratively. "I KNOW! Just cash out that ticket for $22, then use the cash to pay for the gas!" 
 
Easy peasy. Same result. I owed them $20, which I'd been holding in my hand, ready to proffer when the told me my total.
 
I suspect that Casey's might REALLY have a problem with that register. Unless that Manager trained them all poorly, heh, heh. Because last week, they had that register closed completely. At least that Manager could think her way around the problem.
 
And they were all polite.

6 comments:

River said...

Sounds like the register needs replacing. The inner workings have carked it (Aussie for died)

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I agree! It stumped three employees! We'd say it CROAKED!

Sioux Roslawski said...

You can't get upset when it's the tech (the register) that is malfunctioning... and the people are polite. It's terrible when customers get irate, when it's the cash register that not doing the registering correctly. All the cashiers are doing is sliding each item over the sensor. When that doesn't work, or if the wrong price rings up, it's not the people's fault.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
They were all so sure they knew exactly what to do! Then the rude awakening for these polite people. I almost felt sorry for them. Almost. I'm kind of like The Pony that way...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

He could have just given it to you for free and gone on about his business. BUT, those scratcher tickets are regulated by the state and they would have had a world of trouble! We used to sell them in Minnesota in our three retail locations. I am happy that I was in th repair shop and didn't have to deal with that!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I didn't expect anything for free. I had my $20 right there in hand, to pay the difference after my scratcher winners were subtracted. In my opinion, I could have LEFT, and they could have figured it out without my presence! It was clear that I had $22 credit from those winners.

That's why I went back to the School-Turn Casey's a while back, when they gave me $15 too much in change, when all I bought was scratchers. I know the state runs a tight ship with those lottery retailers!