Saturday, October 29, 2022

Back Off, Mack!

I need some of those Yosemite Sam mudflaps to hang on my ample rumpus! The ones that say BACK OFF! People just have no sense of propriety these days.

Wednesday, I bought my $3 crossword out of the right-side Country Mart machine. I wheeled my cart over to the left side machine. I have to park the cart between a pole that supports the ceiling, and the ice machine on the other side of the lottery machine. It's just a fit. I can keep an eye on my purse and groceries, and I don't block the entry door path to the cart corral.

I had just scanned my $6 winner when I sensed a presence over my shoulder. It was a man who was old enough to know better. Late 40s at least. I don't like people behind me. Especially when I'm choosing my scratchers. I had every intention of getting a $3 crossword, the $3 Christmas ticket, and then putting in a five-dollar bill to get a $5 scratcher. But not with somebody watching me.

I turned to look at Crowder. He had the nerve to say, "Oh, no. You're fine." As if I was the one doing something inappropriate! I just took my two $3 tickets and left.

What in the NOT-HEAVEN, Crowder??? Of course I'm 'fine.' I got there first. I'm getting my tickets. You can cool your skinny rumpus back over by the carts, or leaning on the end of the un-used register, like I do, when somebody is already at the machine. I don't need you breathing through the party section of my Lovely Lady-Mullet while I'm making my decision.

Sweet Gummi Mary! I really need to intensify my efforts to get my proposed handbasket factory up and running. I see more of a need for it every day.

4 comments:

River said...

He probably thought your look was an enquiry as to whether he was in a hurry. In my mind I would be asking him to take a step back, but in reality, these days maybe it's not such a good idea. You never know who will say sorry and step back and who will blow up in your face all anger and righteousness over their entitlement to stand where they please.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yeah, ever since that old man HAD A FIT at the now-closed Casey's, and barged over and threw his dozen donuts on the counter, when I asked if he was in line, so as not to butt ahead of him... I rarely ask people anything.

Heh, heh, if he didn't realize my "look" was the stink-eye, he's not very observant. Another thing with the lottery machines, people might be thieves! Hillmomba is a pretty safe area (despite headless bodies in septic tanks and corpses wrapped in rugs in truck beds), but you never know. Some ne'er-do-well could snatch my tickets out of the tray, or money or a winner from my hand, and run out the door. Times are tough.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Oh, I know I am fine, but wondering what your problem is ..... you are in my personal space.
It would go something like that, depending on my current mood and the reaction of the instigator. Four letter words have been known to cross my lips when provoked.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I wish you could follow me around, like an assertive-support-person! I wouldn't even make you wear a harness, and I would give you treats every time you spoke up for me!