Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Tuesdays As I Park With Pony

Tuesday is currently The Pony's day off. If I need something from him, like his house payment, or if I have something to give him, like scratchers or water jugs, I park in his driveway and he comes out. I may be older and have more insurance, but he's younger and has better knees.

Yesterday, I pulled up and we got some paperwork out of the way before starting our errands trek. I mentioned how I'm afraid that if a snow comes, he might be stuck in his driveway if the snowplow makes a drift at the end of his driveway.

"Maybe you should back in, if you know there's snow in the forecast. So at least you'd be driving forward, trying to get through a drift."
 
"Actually, I plan to park on the street in front if there's gonna be snow."
 
"You can still get plowed in! That's more of a main route than your side street. They could pile snow up all around your car."
 
"Well. I could always walk."
 
"I bet somebody would come get you if you asked."
 
"That time I had to get my car worked on, the manager came to get me. She'd probably do it again."
 
"Yeah. You're so close. I would be way easier to run over here and pick you up, rather than get people to cover your route."
 
On we went, to the bank, the credit union, and an office where we had to sign papers. As I parked on the street, we were treated to an unusual sight coming out the door of a storefront up the street.
 
"Huh. Are they having a Halloween party? Look at that suit. It's about 10 sizes too big."
 
"Maybe. Look. That lady has a dog under her arm. And she's in a suit, too!"
 
"Yeah. But just the jacket. And it's white. Like a doctor's coat. Also 10 sizes too big. It must be a costume party. And look at THAT guy! His hair is clown red!"
 
"But he's in a suit. They're definitely having some kind of party or celebration."
 
"Yeah. There's two women in dresses."
 
"Well. Not fancy dresses. But for around here, that's dressing up."
 
"Nobody goes out in a dress just casually on a Tuesday afternoon. But look at those two! One in a camouflage jacket, and that little girl in leopard print!"
 
"That lady crossing the road is wearing house slippers."
 
"I can't figure this out."
 
"I think maybe they had a wedding. Or at least a reception."
 
As we got out of T-Hoe and started up the three steps onto the sidewalk, the "party" of folks who had crossed the street set off a GLITTER CANISTER! As much like glitter as you can call it when it's outside in the wind, bright red shiny foil-y stuff about 3 inches square, coming right at you.
 
"Hurry, Pony! Grab the door before it gets to us!"
 
"I think we have our answer. I think that was a wedding."
 
"I think so too. But it's really hard to pick out the brides or grooms, because of how everybody was dressed."
 
I suppose we'll never know. 

2 comments:

River said...

A wedding? I was thinking disguised bank robbers. And still, we'll never know.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That was way too many bank robbers to keep a secret! Plus their use of the confetti cannon was kind of attention-grabbing. I'd say a wedding, but maybe just a reception, because of that one gal wearing house slippers.