Friday, October 7, 2022

Wouldn't You Like To Buy Some Pepper, Too

No. I did not buy pepper when I shopped at Country Mart on Thursday. I have plenty of pepper, thanks. Not long ago I filled my metal grinder thingy gifted by my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel. It requires tearing a paper plate in half, making a makeshift funnel, and pouring in the peppercorns from a plastic container. THEN comes the hardest part of lining up the two little holes and pointy thingies that make sure the grinder is put back together right. This used to be Genius's job. Then The Pony's. Now I'm on my own.
 
After perusing the spice selection, I felt woozy! SO MANY SPICES! That's just the basics. There was another section the same size, to the right. The Pony would go hog wild in here!
 
 
Anyhoo... a comment from blog buddy River made me curious about the pepper selection. So many spices, so little attention span to focus on what's there! I was looking for a self-grinding version of black pepper. Nope. Not here. Or IS IT???
 
I was shocked at the price of ground pepper! That's $8.98 for a 6 oz. tin of name brand ground black pepper!
 
 
But look what it says on the label ABOVE the black pepper! SELF GRINDER. I think. When I zoomed in, it was something like that. So I had to look back at the big picture to see if it was actually in stock. That's debatable. Maybe? One item? PEPCORN GRNDR $5.48 for 2.5 oz., it says. 

I would zoom in on the big picture and show that area, but BLOGGER has been playing up and showing out all evening, and I don't have the desire to fight it any more. So you'll have to make do with what's here. And even that I begrudge you! Stupid BLOGGER!

4 comments:

River said...

I see the $5.48 pepper grinder there, but before buying one, check to see if it is refillable. Some are, some aren't.
Since you already have a pepper grinder, you don't need a new one, but at least you got a good look at the spices.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't even like pepper much, but I DO like my grinder! Used it for some leftover beans and ham last night. A long time ago, when eating out at Red Lobster was a thing, I was impressed with the roving waiter asking if I wanted fresh ground pepper on my coleslaw. I DID! And it was delicious, though I never add it at home now.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Prices for spices are outrageous. I just ordered some grade B vanilla beans to make my own extract. It will cost about 1/3 the price. I am thinking I can gift some of my concoction to other bakers in the family. I wouldn't mind getting it as a gift. I buy my pepper at Dollar Tree in the grinder for $1.25. If we had a Whole Foods anywhere close I would buy it in bulk as we use a lot.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The Pony has more disposable income to spend on spices. Good for me that I'm not adventurous, nor a gourmet. Salt and pepper and garlic powder/salt are about the extent of my spices.