Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The Stick Grows Longer As I Reach For The Carrot

Last time I stopped by The Pony's house, he commented on my aluminum water bottle. It's red, with a black plastic top that has a finger ring for easy grabbing, and a flip-top spout. I felt particularly guilty, because I had at first purchased that water bottle with the intent of giving it to The Pony. 
 
However... The Pony had his two stainless steel water jugs, plus three plastic jugs I had bought him when a metal jug broke. In fact, The Pony has previously turned down the red metal water bottle, which holds about 24 oz, when he was at the Mansion and I offered it to him. It's a Hamilton Beach brand, and I bought it at Country Mart during the summer.

"Oh, Mom. That water bottle? [He pointed to it as we sat in T-Hoe] It's just the right size now for me to take to work. Now that the weather is cooler, that would be plenty of water to last me for the day. Especially since I've been driving a Metris."

"Oh. Not gonna lie. I LOVE this water bottle! I'll give it to you, though."

"No. That's okay. But if you see another one..."

"I don't know. With the change in weather, I don't know if Country Mart will have them. But I might look online."

Of course I can't find such a water bottle online. I found some kind of similar. At least I found metal. With a flip spout. I ordered three of them for The Pony, in 24, 32, and 36 oz, I think. They are different colors. Unfortunately, once ordered, I discovered that they would be shipped by FedEx! My nemesis! We're like Jerry and Newman.

My email last Thursday said that my items would arrive on Tuesday, by the end of the day. Then on Friday, the tracking said my items would arrive by the end of SATURDAY! You know how that worked out, right? No package.

Sunday, the tracking said I'd have my package by the end of the day on MONDAY. I just happened to come up on a FedEx van Monday afternoon, crossing the long high bridge (resurfaced last week!), turning onto my county blacktop road. 

Sweet Gummi Mary! What a stroke of luck! I was sure that FedEx van was headed to my Mansion. I'd follow, and get out to call off the dogs, and get that package. No more mystery as to its arrival.

What in the Not-Heaven? That FedEx van made a left turn into the Best Compound. The family of speedy drivers. I went on by, sure that FedEx would drop a package, and resume the trek to the Mansion. After all, it was 4:30. Almost the end of the day. 

I parked on the carport, fiddling with my phone, watching up the driveway. Huh. Five minutes passed. That was plenty of time for FedEx to travel that distance. Huh. WHAT IF that was the driver who puts packages on top of Mailbox Row? Oh, crap! There went three hooligans on 4-wheelers, down towards the mailboxes. Maybe I should go look...

I started T-Hoe again, and drove the mile to the mailboxes. Nothing on top. No sign of FedEx. So I went back home. Called Farmer H to make sure he looked on the way home, in case a box was perched atop EmBee. He said he'd check the mail, but I reminded him that it's a Post Office Holiday. The Pony had a paid day off for Columbus Day.

Farmer H did not find a package. Now tracking says my package will arrive by the end of the day on TUESDAY. Sure it will...

2 comments:

River said...

Is there an option to find out who delivers BEFORE you pay? Then if it's FedEx you can cancel the order and try other sites.
Yu can leave a comment in the help or contact us section saying you will not buy because FedEx can't be trusted to deliver.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
IF ONLY! Sometimes I can judge by how fast the item will arrive. One or two days means FedEx or UPS for sure. This time, I was ordering from DevilsPlaygrounddotcom, and on Thursday it said my order would arrive on Tuesday. So I figured they must be using the US Mail.

Nope! When I got my email confirming my order, there was a tracking button for FedEx! So I knew it would be a matter of slow torture awaiting the arrival.

FYI, I was planning a visit with The Pony on Tuesday. While in the shower, I heard the dogs barking their fool heads off around 1:45. Before I left the Mansion, I looked out, and SITTING ON THE PORCH IN FRONT OF THE DOOR were The Pony's jugs! Heh, heh.

We are at the end of the FedEx route, and usually get our packages (if we get them at all) delivered between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. So I was surprised.