Sunday, December 17, 2023

I Get By With A Little Help From My Convenience Store Denizens

At the Gas Station Chicken Store on Friday, cashing in some scratchers and buying more, a line started to form behind me. Seriously. Nobody was in that store when I started my transaction, but three people all at once rushed in to pay for gas. I feel bad when that happens. Also, I don't get a chance to chat with my favorite cashier.

Fave tore off the tickets I asked for. She had already scanned in my winners and stapled the receipt to them. So it was just a matter of scanning my new tickets and making change. This was not a day that I came out even, because of my winning amounts. I get a $3 Cash4Life draw ticket every day for The Pony, and that throws things off.

I was expecting to get $2 back. But Fave told me I owed her a dollar. That's quite possible, depending on if I had bought an extra $3 ticket I had not originally planned on. She asked if that sounded right. I said I had planned on getting money back, but I might have miscalculated. So I handed her a dollar, and went on my way. 

Halfway to T-Hoe, the door of the Gas Station Chicken Store opened, and the guy behind me in line stepped out.

"Sweetie? She owes you money. You were right!"

He did not say it in a smarmy way. He was being nice, like how you might holler, "Hey, bud!" to a dude. He was a stocky guy, with reddish hair, wearing a security-type uniform. Not police, not county deputy, not prison. I've seen all those uniforms around here.

Anyhoo... I went back in, and Fave apologized and gave me $3 back. She said what her error had been while ringing it up, but I didn't pay attention, because I was thanking Mr. Security for coming out to get me. 

I stopped short of calling him Sweetie.

2 comments:

River said...

Aww, that's so nice of him to let you know. Christmas spirit must be gathering there in the GSCS.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think so! Fave said she had accidentally rung up The Pony's daily $3 Cash4Life ticket twice, and that she had to ask the boss how to fix it! She's been working there forever, and this is the one thing she hasn't done. She had to fill out a refund slip for the register. I don't think she was in any trouble, though, because she asked and got it fixed right away. So maybe even Woman Owner has the Christmas spirit.