Tuesday, December 5, 2023

I Wonder If He Really Worked There

I was trying to get my fake Honey Nut Cheerios off the top shelf in Save A Lot on Monday. A few cart-lengths ahead was the Little Debbie Snack Cake display. It's on the end of the aisle. Kind of in a U shape. So there were boxes of cakes on my side, on the end, and around on the other side. I was planning to get a box of the Zebra Cakes for Farmer H once I accomplished my cereal task. But then a guy came around the end, and proceeded to take a swig of Red Bull from a can that was sitting on the shelf next to a rag or piece of clothing.

What in the NOT-HEAVEN? I've never seen employees in there consuming drinks in the workplace. I assume they have a break room for that. And this guy was just leaving his on the shelf! Where it could be tampered with! Or spilled.

Also, The Guy was not wearing a red vest. The Save A Lot employees always have on a red vest. Whether stocking shelves or cashiering or bringing in carts. The Guy was wearing jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt or sweater. Not that I expected him to be in a three-piece suit. He wasn't slovenly. Didn't look like he just crawled out of a dumpster. He just didn't look like he was an employee.

The Guy went back around the end of the aisle to the other side. I assumed he was the Little Debbie distributor, stocking his shelf. Although I didn't see any cart or box of merchandise for him to pull product out of. I just bypassed that area and went on about my shopping. I'll be danged if The Guy didn't reappear at the other end of the store, when I was trying to balance some cashews (for Chex Mix) and salsa jars (for nachos) in the child seat of my cart.

I still haven't figured out what was with The Guy. He appeared to be just walking around, doing nothing. Except drinking a Red Bull he had stashed on the Little Debbie shelf.

4 comments:

River said...

So you didn't get your Little Debbie's? Or did you go back after he was at the other end of the store?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I did not. I didn't want to walk all the way back across the store once I saw The Guy by the salsa. I figured he'd probably be back over there, and I would have wasted my knee strength for nothing. Farmer H still has a reserve box of Zebra Cakes in the bottom crisper of FRIG II. He likes them cold. I think he's got 1 or 2 in the open box. I try to keep them stocked so he doesn't run out.

Also, he's asked for a coconut cream frozen pie. So he can wait a little longer for the next reserve box of Little Debbies. I can get them in 10Box, too, when I get the pie. 10Box was out of MY Little Debbies last time. I'm not sure what they're called, but they are long chocolate cakes covered thinly with chocolate icing. They might just be called Fudge Cakes. All Little Debbies come individually wrapped, 5 or 6 to a box.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Your mystery man was probably supposed to be cleaning shelves and pulling merchandise to the front, while checking expiration dates. He wouldn't want to identify as an employee in order to be able to finish the task. Sounds like he wasn't interested in completion. Little Debbie has a new raisin cake out. I like that one.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Well, isn't THAT a clever trick!

I have not seen the new raisin cake. Not sure I would like it. I should probably get some of the Christmas variety, before they're gone.