Sunday, December 10, 2023

Pies Lie!

Farmer H wanted a coconut cream pie, after enjoying the Marie Callender's frozen (and crunchy!) banana cream pie, and the chocolate silk pie. Of course I looked for it when I was in 10Box, where I bought the others for Thanksgiving.

You might recall that I did not like the banana cream pie, because it had regular crust, of which I am not a fan. The chocolate silk pie had a dark cookie-crumb crust. It was delicious. So I looked closely at the box of the coconut cream pie. It showed a graham cracker crust. I swear that's what it looked like to me. I held both the banana cream and the coconut cream box in my hand at the freezer case, comparing.

When I got it home, I opened up the coconut cream pie and put it in FRIG II to thaw for Farmer H. I didn't want him crunching this one! It was in the foil pie pan, with a clear plastic lid, and wrapped in clear plastic, which I left on. Farmer H went to bingo, and didn't have pie that night. For whatever reasons, he didn't have pie for several nights, either eating a Little Debbie Zebra Cake, or saying he was full from a big lunch and supper.

A couple nights ago, I decided I would be the first one to cut into that coconut cream pie. I got it out of FRIG II, my paper plate and knife and fork all ready. I took off the clear plastic wrap, and the clear plastic lid, and picked up the knife, and 

SAW A REGULAR CRUST!!!

I cry shenanigans! I swear that crust was graham cracker on the box picture! Unfortunately, I had already sent the box out in the trash bag that Farmer H drove up to the dumpster the day after I brought the pie home. Of course I was disappointed. I put down the knife, lidded the pie again, and put it back in FRIG II. 

I consulted my estranged BFF Google, for pictures of the Marie Callender's frozen pie boxes. There's definitely a difference in the banana cream crust and the coconut cream crust. Especially when you look at the crust under the pie, which is what I did. Closer inspection of the back edge of the crust makes it look more like a regular type crust. I will not be fooled again!

Next time, I'm getting the chocolate silk pie!

6 comments:

River said...

Does it say anywhere on the box whether it is regular crust or cookie crumb crust? I think it should so people know what they are buying. Did Farmer H eventually eat that pie? I hate to think it might still be sitting there unloved and unwanted.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I will check the boxes next time I'm on that aisle, to buy my rightful CHOCOLATE SATIN PIE with cookie crumb crust! It's quite possible that my eyes lied to my brain when I inspected the crust pictures.

Farmer H is now two pieces deep into that lyin' pie! He has left crumbs of the crust all over the glass shelf of FRIG II. Don't know how, since he takes it out to slice on the cutting block. Six slices to a pie. I guess he grips the side too tight, and breaks off some of the edge crust. The plastic lid does not snap on right on any of those frozen pies.

Pudge450 said...

You should try Edward’s Key Lime pie. I hate lime flavor in most things; but, I love the key line pie. It has the graham cracker crust, by the way.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Pudge450,
That's an option! I'll look for it. I think Farmer H might like it. I used to get key lime flavored yogurt, but don't remember if he tried it.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Check the bottom of the pie pan, HeWho cuts holes in those! That is how he manages to sprinkle crust crumbs everywhere. You would think he was cutting through steel and had to apply the maximum pressure!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That's a good idea! Farmer H is partial to using a styrofoam bowl for foods that need a fork. Yet not for foods that need a spoon, so I can enjoy the clanking of his spoon against the glass with every bite.