Saturday, December 23, 2023

'Tis The Season, And Mrs. HM Delivers!

Seeing how hard The Pony works delivering the mail, I felt it only right to spread a little cheer to our own mailman. I asked The Pony to find out when the day off is for our route. I wanted to make sure that both the regular carrier and the sub got a Christmas treat. Some people who tip are snobby about it, marking their "gift" FOR OUR REGULAR CARRIER. 

I can understand how they want the person who has delivered their mail all year to get the reward. But what about the sub? They cover up to five or six routes, one day per week. They are still working just as hard, but don't get the recognition. Even though The Pony has been a regular for months now, he did not have an assigned route until this week. He could have, but he didn't bid on the routes that came open, because they were not in the area he wanted. So he worked his 8 hours (before the holiday season!) on different routes. Maybe a month, maybe a week.

The Pony said that even on his new assigned route, he figures any "tips" are meant for the guy who did it before The Pony took over. He has told that regular he will give anything he gets to him. That seems only fair. Back when The Pony was a CCA (City Carrier Assistant), he also gave the gifts left out to the regular, unless it was food, or was told it was for him. That year he got some homemade candy, and a gift card.

Anyhoo... The Pony was having trouble getting an answer for me about our regular and sub. The manager said that the regular is out on medical leave, and the sub has been doing the route, even on sub days. Just to be sure, I put the mailman's treat in EmBee two days in a row, since The Pony said the day off was Tuesday.

On Tuesday morning, I had Farmer H put in a bag of Chex Mix, a mini bottle of Sprite, and a sealed envelope (with a cash gift) addressed to Our Mail Carrier Today. With a note inside: "Merry Christmas. I don't think you're our regular carrier, but here's a treat for you. I will put another in tomorrow for the regular carrier." I also apologized for EmBee's svelte measurements, and acknowledged how difficult it must be to shove some items down her throat. Explaining that EmBee was adopted many years ago to replace the regular mailbox that got bashed every weekend by teens with bats.

When Farmer H picked up our mail that evening, there was a note on one of those orange delivery tickets. "Dear Customer, thank you! I am your "regular 'sub' mailman." The regular is out on med leave till further notice."

On Wednesday, I had Farmer H put in TWO bags of Chex Mix, a mini bottle of Coke, and another letter (same amount enclosed). That envelope was addressed TO OUR REGULAR CARRIER. I rubber-banded an index card to it. Telling our regular sub: "Here's another treat and soda for you. Could you please take the other and this letter back to the office, and give it to someone who can get it to the regular?" [The Pony had said the manager told him they would find a way to get it to the regular.]

Farmer H brought another orange delivery ticket note home with the mail: "I sure can! [Smiley Face] Her name is [****] and she will be very thankful! BTW Love the mix!"

I feel really happy that I probably brightened his hectic workday. Twice.

5 comments:

Rae said...

What a wonderful thing to do. Seems Mrs. Clause is also helping Santa this year. Your "sub" sounds like a great person, taking the time to write a note to thank you and to let you know the status of the regular mail carrier and to take the time to bring the gift for the regular carrier back to the main office to deliver to her. The kindness of strangers. Restores my faith in humanity. Merry Christmas! Ranee (MN)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
I'm glad he liked the Chex Mix! I enjoy thinking that he was excited to find a second bag for himself the next day. As for the cash, people can always use it. Might have bills, or want to get a special gift for somebody.

Merry Christmas!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

It IS better to give than to receive!

River said...

We don't do this in the city, and I don't know that we ever did even when we lived in a small town up north. Probably some people did, the same ones that would send gifts to school for the teachers of their children.
I htink in the city there would be too many mailboxes and if everyone did this the postman would be carrying just as much back as he set out with.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, but not gonna lie... I DO like to receive my mail!

***
River,
Not everybody does it. Seems like more people set out drinks and snacks for the mailmen during the heat waves. We don't do that, due to the location of EmBee. If my mail was delivered to my porch, like at my $17,000 house, I'd probably put out a cooler with bottled water on the HOT HOT days.

We used to send teacher gifts occasionally. Depended on the boys, and what they wanted to do. Some years they did, some not. And only until about 4th grade.