Saturday, April 13, 2024

Almost A Good Deed Not Gone Unpunished

Yesterday, I mentioned how I had finally made an appointment at the lottery office to cash in two scratcher winners that are too large for a store to redeem. How Farmer H had been nagging me to get this task done.

Well. Today I returned home to see Farmer H mowing the front yard/field. He drove the mower onto the carport to come talk to me as I got out.

"You'll never guess what I got out of the mailbox today."

"Oh, no! How much do we owe? Who is suing us for what?"

We've had some recent issues with situations that are not our responsibility. But it doesn't keep people from trying to squeeze blood from a non-responsible turnip.

"Oh, it's not that. But I got a notice for jury duty at the time you scheduled to cash in your tickets."

Further interrogation revealed that Farmer H was confused with the calendar. The ticket appointment was actually a week ahead of his jury duty. So no big deal. 

It wouldn't have been such a problem anyway. I could cancel the lottery appointment, and mail in my tickets in time. But if Farmer H missed his jury duty, he could be held in contempt of court, and fined, or had "other sanctions imposed." Which I take to mean arrested and held in the county jail. 

Don't worry about Farmer H. I will make sure he shows up for jury duty.

4 comments:

River said...

I am glad to have never been selcted for jury duty. my mind is so easily distracted I couldn't possibly concentrate long enough to listen to did he or didn't he do whatever it is they are arguing about.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I had to do it back when I was teaching. Got called several times over a 3-month period for the selection process. They bring in 100 people. The one time I was certain I wouldn't be picked, with a juror number of 74, THEY CHOSE ME! Had to stay until after 11:30 p.m. because one person would not agree with the other 11 of us about a settlement. It was an eminent domain case, where a guy was suing the state for not paying him what he thought was a fair price for his land along the highway, which used to be a gas station.

Usually, the lower your number, the more likely you are to get chosen during the questioning, unless you have a reason to make one side not want you. One was a child abuse case where a divorced dad was accused of inappropriateness by a daughter. I said that as a teacher, I didn't think I could be impartial, as I would always side with the child. Another time, one of the lawyers was OUR lawyer, and I said I couldn't be fair, because I knew him and that would sway my opinion.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I think I would make a fine juror! Back in the 80's I was summoned and it was for Grand Jury. I kind of liked it and wouldn't mind sitting for a trial now that I am retired and have lots of time on hand ....

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H was on a grand jury in St. Louis back before I met him. He speaks fondly of the experience, like it makes him a bigwig.