Friday, April 5, 2024

It's A Small Town After All

I got a late start on errand day, but it was by design. I wanted to avoid the after-school rush, yet get to the Gas Station Chicken Store after the owners had left. I give my favorite clerk a couple scratchers every week, and I don't want to cause trouble for her if they might object. I don't ask for special favors, and I think it's not really their business if I want to "tip" that gal for her cheerful service.

On my way out the gravel road, I met Farmer H in SilverRedO. Of course we stopped to talk. He had some interesting news about our other 10 acres, and said he was going to get the lawnmower and go back to town to mow. Who knows which property. There's Pony House, the two flip house yards, and another that he's now responsible for. I didn't ask, because I had to get moving before banking hours were over.

Anyhoo... my first stop was the bank, because I didn't want it to close before I had an opportunity to withdraw our weekly allowance. Then it was on to the Sis-Town Casey's for T-Hoe's gas. When I came out after paying, I was greeted from two pumps over by my niece, Niecy. We chatted a few minutes while I put in T-Hoe's gas. She asked how The Pony was doing with the dog bites. I replied that physically, The Pony seemed to be healing well, but emotionally, not so much. 

Niecy agreed that it's a problem that will take time to resolve. She said she never was afraid of dogs, and used to go for a walk with her baby, Babe, in a stroller. Then one day she encountered a German Shepherd along her path, and realized that it could become a dangerous situation. She agreed that The Pony may never be bitten again, but the fear would still be lingering.

"Heh, heh! I told The Pony he can look at it as winning the dogbite lottery. Sue every owner that lets a dog run loose and bite."

"Yeah! Go out daring a dog to bite!"

"Sure. The Pony might even grease his legs with bacon fat to tempt them!"

I wouldn't make that joke to The Pony, but I did to Niecy, and we had a chuckle.

From there I headed to the main post office, to mail Genius's weekly letter, and the water bill for the flip house. It was like the busiest roundabout in Europe! Everywhere I looked was a Metris. That's the mini van that has mostly replaced the LLVs (Long Life Vehicles). Of course, it was 3:55, and most regulars clock out at 4:00 if they choose not to take their lunch break.

Then on to the School-Turn Casey's for scratchers. I had just parked in the handicap space when a white van pulled in at an angle behind me, essentially keeping me from backing out. WHAT IN THE NOT-HEAVEN? But then I noticed it was a USPS Metris, and looked inside to see if it might be The Pony. I couldn't see the driver, this being a right-hand drive vehicle. I was looking down to get some winners to cash in when who should appear at my passenger window but THE PONY! My heart swelled with pride, seeing my dear sweet Pony in uniform! 

"I just thought I'd stop and say hi," said The Pony, opening up T-Hoe's door.

"You look so good in your uniform! Will you get in trouble for being stationary while you talk to me?"

"No. It's a convenience store/gas station. They expect us to be stopped at one. I'm on my way back to the office. I can't clock out until 4:15, because I was 15 minutes late this morning. I forgot my ID, and had to go back home and get it."

The Pony was grinning from ear to ear, happy to see me! And also because I had some pleasant news concerning finances and property. That's not a story for today.

Anyhoo... I had a pleasant day, and ended up winning $155 on scratchers.

2 comments:

River said...

What a lovely surprise to meet up with The Pony. And $155 is not to be sneezed at either.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, we both had a good day! Me monetarily, and The Pony gaining no new tooth-holes in his skin!