Saturday, April 20, 2024

So Long Ago, But Just Like Yesterday

I don't hear from Genius very often, even though I write him a weekly letter. But Friday evening, I got a text:

"Can you send me a pic of that photo of me on the wall when I was a little kid, the one sitting on that wicker crate?"

"How soon do you need it?"

"Ideally now, but if you're busy it's not a big deal. I'm at a party and we were all talking about pics of us as kids. If it's too much trouble don't worry."

Well. I had just sat down from trying to soak Farmer H's tray that he used for eating BBQ. And putting away leftovers, but leaving my food that I would warm up later. But nothing will prevent me from supplying a picture when my kid needs one at a party! I wasn't sure exactly which one he was talking about. So I went to the living room with my phone camera.

First I sent a picture of Genius sitting in a wicker chair, at about 2 years old. A photo from a photographer at the Devil's Playground, with a Christmas tree backdrop.

"This one? Or when you were older?"

"I was thinking of another one--in that red vest, I think."

So the next picture I sent was of Genius at a year old, wearing a red vest and plaid red pants. Also a Christmas photo. He was born in December. No wicker chair. But there was another picture from a photographer that went to Genius's daycare when he was 3. Of him wearing a little black vest, with jeans and high-top Nike shoes, sitting on a wicker trunk.

"THAT'S THE ONE!"

"It's my favorite picture of you. Shows your future personality."

"That is wicker. I was close!"

"You loved that vest! I couldn't get in closer, because Dad was sitting in his recliner in front of it."

"No, this is perfect."

I hope Genius won some sort of prize at that party for his picture!

4 comments:

River said...

I remember my youngest wanting a photo of him standing in the driver's seat pretending to drive our Kombi Van. Took me a week to find it!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
At least these were pictures hanging on the wall. I don't think I could have found them otherwise.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Nothing like a stroll down memory lane connecting with one of your babies!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes. They don't stay little long, but the memories are there.