Saturday, October 5, 2024

Alas, Big Salad, I Heartily Rue Ye!

While shopping at Country Mart on Thursday, I picked up a Big Salad for my supper. Farmer H was having leftover Chinese food that I had made a couple days ago, so didn't want a Big Salad. There were several in the deli case, all within the expiration date, all looking the same.

Have I mentioned how much I love the Big Salad? Even when something is left out that makes me feel cheated, the taste is always great. I looked forward to that Big Salad all evening. It was after 9:00 when I got around to eating it.

Upon taking off the see-through plastic lid, I realized that my Big Salad came without the standard two halves of a boiled egg. Dang it! But there was still an adequate amount of the diced ham and diced turkey in opposite corners of the square container. There was ample shredded cheddar on top. Slivers of carrot. That dang purple cabbage I don't really like. But wait! I only had FOUR cherry tomatoes! It usually comes with EIGHT!

Well. These minor setbacks were not going to keep me from enjoying my tasty Big Salad. I set about preparing it as usual. I removed the two rings of green pepper, and the four cucumber slices from the top. No late-night heartburn for me! Took out the meats to eat on the side. Picked out a few of the bigger purple cabbage pieces. Sliced my tomatoes in quarters, to spread out better throughout my Big Salad. In fact, I added four more cherry tomatoes from the pack I had on the counter.

Then I was ready to add my Ken's Steak House Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing from FRIG II. And sprinkle some store-brand crispy onions on top. Mmm... ready to eat!

The taste was different! I can't explain how. Nothing was off. Just not as delicious as usual. I can't explain why. I never chop up the boiled eggs in the salad, but eat them on the side. So there was nothing left out of the salad that I usually have in it. And nothing extra added, except four cherry tomatoes like the ones that came in the salad.

Well, of course I ate every bit of my Big Salad. But I wished I had gotten some fried chicken instead. Now I am wondering if I will try another Big Salad next week. I suppose I will. For research purposes, you know...

No comments: