Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Mrs. HM Finally Met A Pizza She Kinda Didn't Like

Remember last week, when I revealed that Farmer H can't even slice my side of the pizza for me? It wasn't very good pizza! Sometimes these Save A Lot supremes are good, but this one seemed like it was all crust. No wonder it was so hard to slice!

Yes, I admitted that Farmer H and I each take half the pizza. Sometimes, we set some aside for the next night. This time, we did not. Which isn't to say that Mrs. HM was gorging herself with pizza.

Oh, I gamely ate three pieces. Then I said, "Wait a minute! I'm XX years old! Nobody is going to tell me to clean my plate, or stop being wasteful (except maybe blog commenters, and then it will be too late). I'm not eating this crust. It's not very good. The dogs will like it." So I just ate the toppings, which were red, green, and yellow peppers, some black olives, and a few crumbs of sausage, because I moved my pepperoni to Farmer H's half when I took his peppers. The sauce on this one was virtually non-existent, and the cheese was sparse.

Yes, I also gave my food-to-lair transporting tray a good scrubbing.

6 comments:

River said...

I'm sure the dogs were happy to get those crusts. Are the pizzas fully packaged in cardboard boxes when you buy them or are they the cheap store brand ones that are often just wrapped in clear plastic wrap so you can see the toppings and judge the sparseness?
You won't find me telling anyone to clean their plate. I remember that sort of thing from my childhood and vowed never to make my kids eat more than they wanted just to clean a plate. And of course I wouldn't dream of telling an adult. I even remember my mum eating leftovers so they wouldn't be wasted, if we were in a cafe or out someplace else to eat.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, the dogs ate them up! The pizzas are wrapped in plastic, inside a cardboard box with a hole in the top, so you can see the toppings. You can't just the crust thickness, though. The others didn's seem so thick when we had them before. The pepperoni was actually plentiful, and thicker slices than on a deli pizza from The Devil's Playground.

My dad made me sit at the table until I ate my peas. It was bedtime, and they were ice cold before I choked them down. I'd probably still be sitting at the table now if I hadn't given in! I HATE PEAS! I'll eat them in a pot pie or soup, though. But it's taken twenty years to get to that point.

River said...

I have one child who hates peas and I just never served them to her, another child would gag if he tried to eat pumpkin, so I never served it to him after I saw that. I'm an easy going mum, and they got enough nutrition from everything else they ate.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yeah, I'd make my boys try a bite, but if they didn't like it, no use fighting over it. The Pony was way pickier than Genius. He never met a "vinchtable" he liked, except for mashed potatoes or fries. HOS used to call my roast "stringy meat," but he ate it!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I was taught to clean my plate, too. Children overseas were hungry. I always wondered where "overseas" was when I was very young and even suggested inviting these hungry children over to eat all the food I did not want. I was happy when I was allowed to fix my own plate, we had to eat some of everything, but I could at least control how much. My kids were all good about trying everything, but I never insisted that they eat everything on their plate. My oldest child was like a garbage disposal and would happily eat the younger children's portions left on their plates.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H's older boys were kind of like sharks around the table. They ate fast, to lay claim to more. Poor Little Future Veteran. As the youngest, he often lost out. I remember a trip to Pizza Inn, when Farmer H grabbed the last slice of Cheesy Bread off the plate, which rightfully belonged to Little Future Veteran. All he did was sigh, and look sad. Of course I lectured Farmer H about it later, and can you believe he HAD NO IDEA that he took Little Future Veteran's share? I imagine Farmer H as Lou Grant at Mary Richards' dinner party, taking half of the Veal Prince Orloff...