Saturday, June 1, 2019

Not Quite Sure Who I Should Be Ranting About

Don't you hate it when you want to get all worked up with a good rant, but you don't know who to be mad at?

Let the record show that The Pony has been out of classes since spring semester ended May 10. He is living in his student housing apartment at OU for the summer, doing research with a professor he's been working with since last fall. Let the record further show that I mail him a letter, faithfully, every Friday morning before the mail goes out from the main post office.

A couple days ago, The Pony mentioned that he hadn't gotten a letter. I assumed that it was just late, due to the Memorial Day holiday, and maybe the storms in Oklahoma. Friday, he sent me a text, and I realized there was more to the story.

"So, I checked my mail on Wednesday, nothing. Checked today, three letters. Someone outlined the building letter and room # on two of them, so I'm thinking the mailperson can't read."

"So they put them in the wrong mailbox. At least that person was honest and didn't open them and take your $20! This seems to happen every summer. I think the OU student sorter changes, and is incompetent and puts them with the wrong batch of mail. For the WEST complex, instead of EAST. Or in with the wrong building. Then the actual mailman just dumps it in the wrong box, rather than take it back for resorting, or backtrack to the right box."

"Yeah. It's the oldest letter, and the most recent, that have highlights on them, but not the middle one."

"Are they up to date? You should have gotten one this week that was written on May 23."

"It's marked the 24th, but yeah. 10th, 17th, 24th."

I guess he was talking about the postmarks on the outside of the envelopes. In any case, my baby went THREE WEEKS without a letter! It's not like I send him vital state secrets. But he reads them, to hear about news from home. He's been sitting there all alone, his Bestie back home for the summer, without even a two-page letter once a week from his loving mother!

That's a travesty! I really expect more from my 55 cent stamp.

4 comments:

River said...

55 cent stamps? I get the pensioner discount stamps and they're 60 cents each. Our regular stamps are $1. Perhaps you should start highlighting the building and number yourself so it gets to where it should be the first time.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That's outrageous! I doubt I would get any better delivery, even if my stamps cost twice as much. Funny how I address those letters exactly the same as I have for the past two years, yet both times summer rolled around, they didn't get delivered.

Highlighting might work, but it also might disgruntle the student worker in charge of sorting, so they deliberately interfere with delivery. You never know these days.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

People no longer take pride in the work they do. Just do it right!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
They're too distracted by their PHONES!