Sunday, June 16, 2019

Genius Dodged A Plane Crash

Remember a few months ago, when I mentioned that a headhunter was trying to recruit Genius away from his current employer? Back then, I said: I won't mention its name, but this company manufactures airplanes, and contracts with the government. Well. Now I'm going to mention its name. Boeing.

Genius called Wednesday evening, to pass the time while he was driving. He mentioned that a former colleague from one of his other summer internships had approached him about a new job. Genius isn't in a position to make a move right now. The subject of Boeing came up.

"Good thing you didn't take that Boeing job! They really hit the news right after that!"

"I know! The week after I turned down their offer is when their second plane went down. THAT IS THE DEPARTMENT I WOULD HAVE BEEN WORKING IN!"

"Whew! You dodged that plane crash! Or maybe... if you'd gone to work for them... that plane wouldn't have crashed!"

Genius pointedly ignored the bait, and changed the subject. It's easier to get him wound up when we play our mind games in person, rather than when I'm leaning over the kitchen counter, and he's hurtling along at 70 mph talking through his car's sound system.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Making a sound decision like staying with his job after getting another offer versus constructing a building to hold Coca Cola junk...

Genius must get more of his DNA from you? Or does he get his wheeling and dealing skills (evident when he got such a great job) from Farmer H?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I'd say it's about 50-50. Genius will think through things and make a logical decision like I do, and think before he speaks. But he has Farmer H's mechanical aptitude and schmoozing skills.

River said...

I'm glad he didn't go to work for Boeing. I saw the plane crashes on the TV news here and vowed I would never fly with Boeing. I don't care if they fix the problem or not, no flying with Boeing for me. Not that I fly anywhere anyway. The budget doesn't allow it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I was afraid Genius would be tempted. He's all about the prestige of brand names. Of Fortune 500 companies. That's how he ended up at his current job. He had two offers, both from companies where he'd done a co-op, working there. He'd spent two summers at the company he chose, and a six-month stint at a smaller company in St. Louis. He would have had more responsibility at the St. Louis company, but he wanted the big name. The salary offers were comparable.

Flying is not something I would do willingly! The only times I've been on a plane were for family vacation, when I didn't have a choice, as a teenager.

River said...

I've only flown a couple of times, once to Sydney and back to Adelaide, then again to Perth and back to Adelaide. I LOVE flying.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I bet you would have loved flying in that 4-seat, water-landing plane that rescued us from a fishing trip in Alaska. Me... not so much.