Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Mrs. HM Flies Into Another Flippin' Fit Of Pique With Farmer H

Farmer H is skating on thin ice. So thin that a single teardrop could send him crashing into the depths to Lock Ness Monster levels. But don't you worry about Farmer H, because Mrs. HM is nowhere near to crying. She might, however, emit a dangerous drop of spittle while spewing her displeasure with Farmer H's latest antics.
We all know that Farmer H never needs anything from the store. So I have taken to interrogating him about specific items, and using my incredible sense of attention to detail to compensate. I know how many bananas he has left in the bowl on the kitchen counter. I use them as a marker for when I MUST go to the store. I knew Monday night that Farmer H had TWO banana left. He'd be eating one Tuesday morning, leaving ONE. So the very latest I could go to the store was Wednesday, or he'd be out of bananas.

I was planning on a trip to Terrible Cuts on Monday, but Farmer H threw off my schedule. So I changed it to Tuesday. As long as I was there, I might as well go in The Devil's Playground for my weekly shopping. So Monday night, watching Farmer H eat his supper of shrimp and slaw and a Hawaiin Roll, I asked if we needed Hawaiian Rolls. They're closed up in the cabinet, and I don't regularly eat them, so my power of observance was not in play.

"I have two left."

"Okay. I'll get some tomorrow after my haircut."

And I did. The mini sub roll Hawaiians, which are the ones Farmer H likes best. They stay fresh for a pretty long time compared to regular bread, several days past the date. We rarely have them long enough to mold. They get a little stale when old, and I give them to the dogs, who love them.

Anyhoo... Farmer H was gone when I got home with the groceries (SHOCKER), so I had to carry them in by myself. As I went to put the bunch of seven bananas in the bowl, I saw that there was no room! That glass fruit bowl was filled with tiny green bananas! SEVEN of them. Plus the one I knew would be left, turning spotty.

That made me kind of mad. How in the Not-Heaven were we going to get rid of 15 bananas? It's not like I'm a baker or pudding-maker. And the bananas I brought home were beautiful! I'd wheeled out the dolly under the banana display at The Devil's Playground, to get the good bananas. Just right! Bright yellow. The longest bananas I'd seen in a while. Yet Farmer H had apparently brought home AUCTION BANANAS! Without bothering to tell me.

Oh, but it gets worse. When I put away the Hawaiian Rolls, I saw that there was a FULL PACKAGE of Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls, dated July 31. They'd be good at least until my next shopping trip. I took out the pack of Hawaiians with two left, dated July 18, to give the dogs. I guess I can freeze the new package. But it will probably stay good anyway, with a date of August 10.

Farmer H's excuse for the bananas was: "I was sure you'd look and see them." For the Hawaiians, he only said, "Oh."

Too bad the dogs don't like bananas.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

The bananas--peeled--could be frozen. Do you like banana milkshakes?

Frozen, they could be stuffed into... Well, perhaps I don't want to give you any ideas on how you can punish Farmer H.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
What do you think I am, Madam, some kind of milkshake maker? I haven't used a blender since my first year of teaching, when I made strawberry daiquiris! After hours, of course.

No freezing here. They could become weapons for my eventual demise, I'm pretty sure.

River said...

Just put the yellow bananas on top of the green ones, that will give the green ones time to ripen while Farmer H eats the yellow ones. I'd send you my recipe for banana cake, but you've already said you don't bake.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'm sure you make a great banana cake, and thanks for the offer, but I really don't bake. The yellow bananas are already on top. I think Farmer H will have to eat his auction bananas two at a time. That will be the same as one regular banana like I bought.