Monday, October 7, 2019

Another False Accusation Of (Formerly Known As Puppy) Jack

Sunday afternoon around 3:00, I sat on the short couch, conversing with Farmer H. We had a light drizzle, which had put the kibosh on him earning a fortune one dollar at a time at his Storage Unit Store. I'd just returned from town, and he was wondering about the weather, because he was planning on taking Marley out of his pen for a walk on the leash.

"Hey! What's Jack got in his mouth? He just came running across the yard. Man! He's shaking that thing like a dead rat. Is it a squirrel? Oh, no! I see something on it. Bright red. Hope that's not a collar on somebody's pet!"

Farmer H arose from the La-Z-Boy and stumped to the front door.

"Don't scare him! Talk nice, and he'll bring it over."

Farmer H was less gruff than usual. "Whatcha got, Jack?"

Jack perked up. Looked at the porch. Set down his treasure and trotted to the porch.

"It looks like a CAP! He's taken somebody's cap."

Farmer H went out, and I went to the door. Farmer H crossed the yard to get a closer look, while Jack bounded alongside. I could imagine him grabbing that cap and running off with it, teasing Farmer H. But Farmer H got to it first. Held it up.

"It's a GLOVE! It's MY glove! He got it out of the Gator!"

"I don't think so. More like Copper Jack got it, and our Jack took it away from him! Jack came running from up by the driveway, not from the carport Gator area. He can't reach that high, to get it out of the back of the Gator."

Farmer H grunted, and carried his precious glow-orange insulated glove back towards the Gator. You'd think one of these days, he'd learn a lesson about leaving stuff in there, accessible to dog lips.

4 comments:

River said...

I wonder how many times you'll have to remind him NOT to leave things there before it actually sinks in.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think the concept of infinity applies here, and not an actual number.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

It is like I have lived your life ...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Don't I know it! We are married to the same man, it seems. I've since found out that Farmer H left his fancy gloves IN THE OPEN GLOVEBOX of the Gator. I suppose he thought he had to, since it's a GLOVEBOX. Anyhoo, Jack can step up in the floor of the Gator, and can stand on his hind legs and nose around in there.

Still, I'd think Jack would have come romping from the area of the Gator with the glove, and not from up by the driveway, where Copper Jack lurks.