Saturday, October 26, 2019

Farmer H Is A Bad Spooner

I made the hot dog corn muffins for Farmer H on Thursday. He ate one with his supper of beans, and declared it good. He said they were a little bit light on the hot dogs! Well. He, himself, is the one who told me a whole hot dog per muffin was too much. He says next time, he'll have a side of mustard to go with them.

I made a big batch, because I was also making regular corn muffins to go with our leftover beans. One box of Jiffy mix was not enough, but two was a bit too much. Not a big deal, the dogs will love their leftover treats. I used 5 hot dogs, and put them into 8 corn muffins. I tried one. It was okay. I don't plan on eating another.

So...2 of the 8 are eaten. Farmer H was supposed to have one alongside his Devil's Playground prepared meatloaf meal Friday, but he forgot. Now he's due to eat just the hot dog muffins for supper on Saturday, before the auction. I'm pretty sure he won't be eating 6 of them!

Let the record show that when Farmer H and I eat our beans, we add crumbled corn muffins, diced onions, and banana pepper rings, along with a couple spoonfuls of the pepper juice. It's delicious, if I do say so myself.

As you might imagine, keeping Farmer H from contaminating the pepper jar is a full-time job. I set out his ingredients on the cutting block. A plate of the cut-up pepper rings, a plate of diced onions, and the jar of peppers for dipping some juice. I specifically told Farmer H,

"This spoon is for the pepper juice. Don't stir your beans with it."

I laid the spoon on the lid from the pepper jar. Surely even Farmer H could understand those basic instructions. Well. I guess I did not provide enough details.


Here you see how it should have been. Spoon on lid. Silly me. I destroyed the crime scene by putting that spoon back on the lid. In the background, you can see some remaining evidence. That drop of pepper juice is where Farmer H had laid the spoon. With a piece of diced onion that had been stuck to it. I wish I'd gotten the actual photo, but I was distracted, lecturing Farmer H, who was already in the La-Z-Boy, eating his supper.

"I can't believe you put the spoon on the cutting block! That's why the lid was there."

"Huh. It's no big deal."

"Not to YOU. I'M the one who has to wipe up the mess. All you had to do was lay it over a few inches. Is that so hard? AND, you weren't supposed to use the spoon to dip your onions."

Seriously. I pick up the diced onions with my hand, and sprinkle them in the bowl. It would take longer to use a spoon, and I'd be chasing those onions across the plate with it anyway.

We had used all the peppers, so it's not like Farmer H would have contaminated the jar with his onion spoon. I'm surprised he didn't drop the spoon all the way down into the tall jar. Then again, wiping up his cutting block juice and onion was more work than dipping my hand down into a jar of pepper juice.

I don't know why Farmer H can't understand that messes don't clean themselves. OH, WAIT! Yes I do! Farmer H's messes DO clean themselves, with 100% help from ME.

6 comments:

River said...

"...chasing those onions across the plate..."
Huh!
Put the diced onions in a bowl, so you can scoop a spoon under them to get a spoonful. Or use a small pair of tongs, like salad tongs or the old-fashioned sugar cube tongs that every household used to have way back when grandmas were little kids. I'm sure Farmer H can find you a pair in his goodwill travels.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Sweet Gummi Mary! The Mansion ain't The Ritz! Farmer H uses his fingers when I set out diced onions in a bowl to go on his chili dogs. I don't see the need for washing an extra utensil just so he can seem civilized. Fingers work, or he can hold the plate and push them over the edge.

I have asked Farmer H to get me a hard case for my glasses (spectacles), because the hinge on mine is breaking. He seems to forget what he's shopping for.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yes, your PITA is just like my PITA. Mine likes to put a spoon, drippy with some sort of sauce, onto the counter, instead of putting it in the sink.

Why? Are they marking their territory, like a semi-advanced dog?

I'm not sure, but no matter how many times I've said something, it continues... so I've stopped wasting my breath.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
We have another one to make a PITA trio. My best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel says her husband has ice cream every night. And every night, he leaves a single drop of melted ice cream on the counter. I'm guessing that maybe he sets down the spoon to put the lid back on the container, then uses the spoon to eat, or puts it in the sink. But then again, I'm in danger of having my Mystery, Inc. card revoked, so maybe not.

Dogs are more advanced. They would lick up that mess, though it would be initially bigger, because of their trouble grasping the spoon.

River said...

When I set my ice cream spoon down to put the lid on the container, I set it down IN my bowl of ice cream.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That reflects logical thinking, and illustrates the fact that you are not somebody's husband.