Thursday, February 13, 2020

Do You Hear What HM Hears?

Listen! Did you catch that? It's like music to my ears. It IS music to my ears!

Actually, it's a 32-second video of an orchestra playing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. I use it to make the official announcement that

FARMER H FIXED T-HOE'S LEAKY TIRE!

Thank you, thank you! I accept your hearty congratulations. Careful there! Don't pat me on the back too hard. I may look sturdy as a tree trunk, but I'm not sure-footed.

Yes, after 8 months of my "needless" complaining, I finally got through to Farmer H.

"I don't know how you can live with yourself, knowing that your elderly wife was bent over in the 34-degree rain today, putting air in her leaky tire. Other people may think you're a nice guy, but I guarantee their opinion would change if they'd seen that sight."

"Which one is it? The left rear?"

"Yes. Rear tire behind the driver. Same as I've been telling you for 8 months."

"I guess I'll take it to town and see if Mick the Mechanic can get two tires for it. Get me your keys."

"The keys are in the side of my purse, where they always are. You can get them yourself. I don't think that will be any harder than picking them up off the counter beside the purse as you walk by."

"Never mind. I have a key on the dresser. I'll use that one."

Always wanting to have the upper hand, that Farmer H. Ready to make a detour to the bedroom for another set of keys, to SHOW ME that he's not one to put up with his woman telling him to get the keys out of the side of her purse as he walks by, rather than her getting up to move them six inches for his convenience.

At 4:33 I got a text,

"Im getting your oil changed and tire fixed
So far they can't find anything in it"

"I don't know why it loses 2 pounds of air a day. Sometimes more. I put in 8 pounds today."

At 4:35,

"They finally found it"

Huh. Doesn't seem like it took all that long to me. It was after 3:30 when I heard Farmer H tromping through the bedroom for his key. Then he had to drive to town. Probably shot the breeze for a while before getting down to business. THEN when he gave me the receipt later, I saw that he'd actually gone to the Devil's Playground automotive department, and not Mick the Mechanic's shop. Which takes three times as long to get there.

According to Farmer H later, at home, the guys didn't put the tire under water, as normal, to check for the leak. They were spraying it with water. The leaker was a tack. Farmer H could not elaborate on whether it was a common thumbtack, a pointy staple used in construction, or a flat nail used to tack down roofing material. 

"The guy just come back in and said it was a small tack."

Uh huh. Which means I'd been driving on it for 8 months. It could have been removed long ago, preventing me from standing on my head at the air hose on a weekly, then two-day basis. But that would have been the LOGICAL scenario. Not a Farmer H scenario.

However...I am elated that I won't have to get out for air every-other day through the end of the winter. I hope. I AM assuming Farmer H got the correct tire fixed this time...

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Don't assume. You know what that makes you, don't you.

River said...

Woo-Hoo! and Hallelujah! and picture me doing backflips and handstands :)
Not that I actually would do those things, I'm headed towards elderly myself, but I'm so happy for you and T-Hoe.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Too late with that warning! Now I have to tell the rest of the story. My joy was short-lived. But I am stopping short of adding a gloomy Beethoven link.

***
River,
You might have to add some pity to the happiness, and a heavy sigh to the handstands and backflips! Nothing ever goes smoothly for Mrs. HM.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

As I am catching from the last to the last one I read, I already know what happened!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I'm thinking they didn't inflate it properly after the "repair." Because it went another full day without losing any more air. Maybe they only put 30 in it to start with. OR maybe I've been parking it on the leaky hole coincidentally, which plugs it. I'm going to be checking it every day on my dashboard control thingy.