Thursday, February 6, 2020

Hillbilly Mansion, Where A Question Always Begets A Question

Farmer H has a problem with responsibility. With taking it, and with accepting it. But you knew that already. Even if, by some glitch in the matrix, Farmer H is NOT responsible for something, he will react as if he needs an alibi.

Sometimes Farmer H sits on the long couch. Like if I've beaten him (not literally) to the La-Z-Boy, or if he's eating some supper that requires cutting. I'd say if it needs slurping, but you also know by now that Farmer H could eat his soup or chili or beans with a fork, since he practically squeegees out all the liquid.

Since The Pony went back to college, we've found a couple things he forgot. Or maybe left on purpose. One of them is a container of Chex Mix. I'm sure it was an oversight. The Pony LOVES my Chex Mix. I make it with extra garlic powder and garlic salt, just for him. There was a shortage of Chex Mix this year. In the end, I only had enough left over to give The Pony, Genius, Friend, and Farmer H. I didn't have any left for myself! That's okay. It's better to give than to eat yourself. Heh, heh.

Anyhoo...Farmer H had his container of Chex Mix on the table next to the La-Z-Boy. He has a habit of picking out first the Bugles, then the Chex, then the pretzels, then the nuts, and leaving the Cheerios. Which will sit there until I decide to toss them out and wash the container. Farmer H will never say, "I'm done with this," and bring it to the kitchen for washing. It could conceivably sit there until NEXT Christmas, if left up to him.

Anyhoo...last week, I got to thinking how good some Chex Mix would be. With a bottle of REAL Coke. So I looked to the couch, to see if The Pony's tub of Chex was still there. I didn't see it.

"Did you eat The Pony's Chex Mix?"

"Did you take it downstairs?"

"Would I be asking you where it is if I took it downstairs?"

"Do you always remember everything you do?"

"Can you ever just answer a question?"

"Can you not blame me for something just once?"

"Do you know where the Chex Mix is that was sitting on the couch?"

"Was there Chex Mix on the couch?"

"Don't you remember seeing it there when you sit down?"

"Why would I notice Chex Mix on the couch?"

SWEET GUMMI MARY!

I went to the couch, moved two throw pillows, and there it was. Seemingly with the proper ratio of ingredients, though some had been eaten, probably by The Pony.

Seriously. Shouldn't I have known better than to ask?

4 comments:

River said...

Seriously? Yes, you should know better, but where's the blog post in that? Much more fun for us to swing our heads back and forth between you and Farmer H, like we were watching a tennis match.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
At least Farmer H is good for SOMETHING!

*Not responsible for necks injured while heads swing back and forth.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Answering questions with other questions! Does he fancy himself to be a shrink?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
What do you think? And how does that make you feel?