Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Ain't It Just Like The Wind This Time To Hit Me From Behind

Hillmomba was supposed to get severe storms on Tuesday afternoon. Starting around 4:00. I really meant to get to town a couple hours early, but that didn't work out. So I was coming out of 10Box at 3:45, when I almost fell flat on my face. 

I had just parked my cart/walker by the front door, for some other person like me to take inside. It's closer than walking to the new cart area once inside. I even had the closest handicap parking space. But a gust of wind came from behind me, and nearly knocked me down. 

Everyone knows that Mrs. HM is not a dainty person. She's sturdy. If Jame Gumb, the villain from Silence of the Lambs, decided to make a skin suit from Mrs. HM's flesh, he would need to take it in. Were she more spry, Mrs. HM could hold her own with an NFL offensive lineman. 

THIS WIND WAS STRONG!

I had seen on the morning news that this storm could contain large hail, 60 mph wind gusts, and possible tornadoes. Thank the Gummi Mary, most of it went north of Hillmomba, or had dissipated through the day. But that wind gust was no joke!

I held onto the concrete base of the metal sign designating that parking space as handicapped. The wind whipped my lovely lady-mullet almost from my skull, and blew my shirt all willy-nilly, though thankfully not over my head.

The Pony was heading back to the office then to clock out. And Farmer H was already at bar bingo. When I got home, some rain had just started. Jack and Scarlett were in a frenzy. Copper Jack was wise enough to stay home.

Oh, yeah. I stole that title from a James Taylor song lyric. [YouTube, 4:04]

4 comments:

River said...

I wondered where the title had come from.
I remember wind so strong long ago when daughter and I had just left the vegetable markets with trollies loaded full, we were trying to get across the road to the bus stop and had to fight for every step forward. About 35 years ago. We've had strong winds since then but I haven't had to be out and about in them.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River
I hate the wind. I knew it was blowing hard, but didn't expect to be so affected by it.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

We encountered a good bit of wind as we left home to head south on our trip. It stayed with us through Atlants, then finally let up. Bo was vomiting, so the scary part was lost to me, as I was busy cleaning up the mess.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I hate wind more than rain and snow and ice combined! At least Bo's vomit was a distraction from the demon wind!