Sunday, April 21, 2024

A Case Of Up-To-No-Good-Ness In Hillmomba

Friday, I arrived at the Gas Station Chicken Store during a lull. I had time to chat with my favorite clerk, after first making sure she didn't need to catch up on something like filling the ice machine, or taking a bathroom break. She assured me she was fine, and had time to talk. I told her about cashing in my tickets at the lottery office, because she's always asking if I've done that yet. Then she told me a tale that was concerning.

"I was over in Bill-Paying Town, and going to pay my taxes while I was there. But I had my dog in the car. I couldn't take him in. But I really needed to pay my taxes. I put down all four windows far enough so he could get air, and stick his head out, but couldn't get out. Nobody else was around where I parked.

When I came out, there was a black truck parked by me. Really close, and at kind of an angle. He had all those other parking spaces, but parked crooked, right by my car. There was a man sitting in the truck, looking at me. I thought that was kind of odd."

"Yeah. Doesn't seem right. Do you think he was trying to steal your dog? What kind do you have?"

"He's a pit bull/lab."

"People try to steal pit bulls. Or do you think he was going to report you for leaving a dog in the car?"

"See, I don't know. Because that guy never went into the building. He just sat there, watching me, and then drove off. I was only inside 10 or 15 minutes. And I had all the windows down. I don't know what he was planning to do. I followed him for a little bit, but he didn't go anywhere like he was going to report me, so I quit."

"Something's not right there. You never know. People are crazy these days."

Some people need to mind their own business, and stop being so creepy!

4 comments:

River said...

That is creepy, but perhaps he was just making sure the car and dog weren't being abandoned?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Nobody abandons a car on the parking lot of the county courthouse annex, with windows down and a dog in it. They'd leave it along a rural road, and let the dog out to fend for itself. That guy should have called the police or sheriff with the license number and location, if he was serious about helping the dog. Otherwise, it's none of his business if a car is parked within the lines on a public parking lot.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You would think he would have said something if he was worried about the dog. I don't leave my dogs in the car alone, even though I wouldn't be worried about someone stealing them. Eddie and Toni would bark and Bo would scream. During the dog incident at me daughter's, she picked up Bo while I was tending to Eddie and he traeted her to a scream! She didn't really appreciate my description of his scream, but she is a believer now.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That guy was just creepy. No reasonable explanation. I am imagining Bo to be like a pig squealing. So off-putting that it dissuades predators!