Friday, April 26, 2024

Mrs. HM Is A Raw Ball Of Exposed Nerves

Sweet Gummi Mary! The people of Hillmomba drive worse than Farmer H! It's not bad enough that a county road crew has been putting down fresh pavement on our blacktop road, impeding Mrs. HM's progress on her daily town trip for two day. But NOW, The Universe conspires against her Errand Day travels.

The first incident was rolling into School-Turn Town, after passing by the cemetery that holds Mom and Dad. A peaceful trip most days. I slowed to the speed limit of 30 mph at the city limits. That's because of a four-letter word: C O P S. They regularly patrol that area. So I don't even try to get by with five miles over. I strictly obey. 

Coming up on the first traffic light, I saw three oncoming cars waiting to make a left turn. As I lawfully approached, I said to myself. "I'm too close!" when a black SUV made a left turn across my path. Imagine my consternation (and panic) when the cherry-red SUV behind it  also made a left turn across my path. I had to jam on the brakes to avoid broadsiding it. Of course I laid on the horn. Not that it could do any good. That car was already in my path. But it made me feel better to "voice" my warning and displeasure.

The next incident was after I had mailed Genius's weekly letter, and passed through the ridiculous 5-way stop. An oncoming white SUV was over the non-existent center line, about to sideswipe T-Hoe. I veered as far right as I could, with no time to horn him. What in the Not-Heaven? Are people so oblivious to keeping right? I can tell when I'm on my own side of the road, even without a center line.

The third incident was on a bridge taking the lake road from School-Turn Town to Hillmomba. That bridge is plenty wide enough for two cars to pass. It has concrete sides. No forgiveness there. Yet a small white SUV was over on my side. So close! It was a narrow miss, even though I moved as close to the bridge side as possible.

What is wrong with drivers these days??? They are worse than Farmer H and his sweaving! I never thought I would be able to say that!

4 comments:

River said...

I hate those five-way stops! I had my one and only motorbike accident at one. Thankfully we were all going slowly and I wasn't hurt, nor was my bike, but I did collect a smear of green paint on my helmet from somersaulting across the hood of the car that hit me. The fault was mine since I'd never used a five-way stop before and forgot to check for traffic from that fifth small side street almost directly behind me.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Wow! You are so lucky you weren't hurt! That's the problem with 5-way stops. Somebody always forgets about the fifth street. The one here was to my left, and slightly behind me. It's the worst street to come out of, because everybody else takes your turn, as if you're not there.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

They drive as if they are the only vehicle on the road!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I always honk. Not to punish them (okay, I DO get a lot of satisfaction from honking at them), but to startle them. I figure anybody driving in the middle of the road is probably looking at their phone, and a honk will make them look up and hopefully get out of my lane.